cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

a couple of wall-related bugs . . .

__archiben
Booster
un-reported yet. i'd appreciate some feedback first . . .

1. first off, parameters:
using the syringe ('pick up parameters') command in automatic walls takes everything bar the level values (top and bottom heights). should it? or is this operationally correct for automatic walls?

example: my wall height values are from 0 to +3000 ('b' and 't') . . . i go to the first floor (second floor for you guys across the pond) and syringe an auto-wall placed between +3000 and +6000. when i try to place it i get the "as a result of the last operation elements have been created on others stories..." alert. a quick check in the info box shows my wall height values never changed during the syringe operation and thus the wall is created back on the ground floor.

now, i can see that you might want this to happen in reverse - which is why i'm hesitant about reporting it as a bug - but is there a logic i'm missing in this scenario?

2. next, editing the heights of multiple walls in the 3D window:
it has been discussed previously and the bug supposedly 'fixed' (here). but it seems now that we can only stretch the heights of multiple walls in the 3D window if their reference lines all connect (i.e. form a polyline). i'm trying to stretch the heights of two unconnected parallel walls at the same time and finding i cannot!

did i speak too soon in that thread above? i'm pretty sure that this was previously possible in AC9 (but i can no longer open it to check without resorting to WIBU madness) . . . so is this still a bug?

getting kinda fed up with graphisoft's half-arsed implementation, supposed 'fixes' and constant scissors-and-cellotape workarounds built on top of flaky technology and added-on with fingers crossed . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
21 REPLIES 21
Djordje
Ace
~/archiben wrote:
ah - there's the problem. unfortunately, is this another case of our "consistency" lecture shooting ourselves in the foot again?
Not in my book. It is consistent, until the Stories are the main vertical identification. Speaking of Revit, until the Levels are implemented (I hope never) that can or not have implication of a Storey or a plan, it should be like this.
~/archiben wrote:
yeah. can you believe it? revit here i come . . .
Installed XP already? 😉 BTW, both 9 and 10 work on MBP under XP ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
__archiben
Booster
Djordje wrote:
Installed XP already? 😉
i'd done that by day 4 with the MBP! but i was running it through apple's boot camp, so didn't really have the inclination to dual boot. but now that parallels is stable, officially release and patched, i've installed that. still on trial at the moment, but i don't think it will be long before i buy the license.
BTW, both 9 and 10 work on MBP under XP ...
anything that runs on win XP will run on win XP through parallels, so yeah: both 9, 10 and revit all fire up without any trouble . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Thomas Holm
Booster
~/archiben wrote:
BTW, both 9 and 10 work on MBP under XP ...
anything that runs on win XP will run on win XP through parallels, so yeah: both 9, 10 and revit all fire up without any trouble . . .
Ben, can you run AC 10 in XP and in OSX simultaneously under Parallells? No Wibu key issues?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
__archiben
Booster
Thomas wrote:
Ben, can you run AC 10 in XP and in OSX simultaneously under Parallells? No Wibu key issues?
ah. no. unfortunately parallels does steal my WIBU key from the mac OS and doesn't give it back too easily.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Thomas Holm
Booster
~/archiben wrote:
ah. no. unfortunately parallels does steal my WIBU key from the mac OS and doesn't give it back too easily.
Sigh...
Another nut to crack for the Wibu bunch... This one is even harder than the yet unsolved AC10Macintel+AC9Rosetta issue, I'd guess.

Eh.. How 'easily'? Do you have to restart? Or just quit Parallells? (if restart is the answer, I guess BootCamp is just as well for the moment)
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stupid question but have you tried removing the key & then reinstating it when in Parallels may be worth a shot. (i am not sure why any one would want to bootcamp into Windows camp) when there is Parallels)
__archiben
Booster
Martin wrote:
Stupid question but have you tried removing the key & then reinstating it when in Parallels may be worth a shot.
i haven't - but i will next time i get a chance to play around a bit . . .
(i am not sure why any one would want to bootcamp into Windows camp) when there is Parallels)
simple. performance and hardware sharing. although parallels is not doing much emulation because the chips are intel now, there is still a minor performance drop in running one system inside another. combined with the memory handling (two 'systems' using addressing the RAM at the same time?) and hardware issues like the WIBU key thing above, booting directly into windows is always going to be the preferred option when using 'pro-app' heavy duty processing stuff . . . for the moment . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
I was under the impression that there was a performance hit in Parallels with video. Is this true or has that been corrected. I think it was due to a lack of video drivers for Windows or was this just in Bootcamp? I am in the market for a new laptop and have never considered a Mac before now but this is starting to get interesting. I have a 24" Dell panel which I would hook up to in the office but would want to be sure I can run it in native resolution and that there wouldn't be any issues with OPEN GL.

I would rather run AC in Windows until they fix the lack of docking in the Mac so I would not want to take any performance hit.

This is probably the wrong place for this question but you guys were discussing Parallels here so thought I would ask.

Thanks,
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
__archiben
Booster
Gerald wrote:
I was under the impression that there was a performance hit in Parallels with video. Is this true or has that been corrected. I think it was due to a lack of video drivers for Windows or was this just in Bootcamp?
bootcamp is essentially a hardware-driver generator for your specific hardware setup. i think they've got most of it nailed now, but i doubt we'll see the real-deal, gold-master drivers from apple until they release bootcamp officially as a part of leopard (OSX 10.5). i believe it's due in the first quarter next year(?) i would imagine - i don't know for sure - that parallels piggybacks the bootcamp driver development?
I have a 24" Dell panel which I would hook up to in the office but would want to be sure I can run it in native resolution and that there wouldn't be any issues with OPEN GL.
dual-monitor problems such as this are actually more dependent on the graphics card in the machine you opt for . . . the trouble with macs is that you don't have the hardware flexibility that you do with PCs: what you get in the box is what you get. there is no changing graphics cards later, etc... it sounds like you're after a laptop. this is the top spec of the new range of macbook pro's released last week:

"Apple MacBook Pro 17" Tech Specs" wrote:
Dual display and video mirroring:
Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

it is also only a 256MB card: so if you were hooking up an extra monitor, this is automatically going to halved to 128MB each per monitor. not so good . . . if you were looking at workstation though, you can build your own mac pro xeon with 2x 512MB cards: one for each monitor
I would rather run AC in Windows until they fix the lack of docking in the Mac so I would not want to take any performance hit.
but have you tried the mactel build of archicad running on intel chips from within OSX?! might make you reconsider your (minor?!) palette docking issue?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
TomWaltz
Participant
The cool rumor I've seen circulating is that you could turn on fast user switching and switch between Windows and Mac OS... WAY better than rebooting!
Tom Waltz