Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

beams and reflected ceiling plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me how to show my beams on my ceiling as a solid line rather than a dotted line.

We want dotted line for floor plan and solid line for ceiling plan.
15 REPLIES 15
__archiben
Booster
Jesikuh123 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to show my beams on my ceiling as a solid line rather than a dotted line.

change your model view options . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
ok....

if the beam's contour lines are dashed, so as to appear dashed in plan, won't they still appear as dashed in the rcp and not solid as the question asks?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I recently saw this on the 'On Land'website blog regarding creating an object that changes line type:

http://www.onland.info/archives/2007/07/ceiling_line_jm11.php

I have virtually no GDL skills or knowledge yet so I don't have a clue how to implement it, but it looks interesting.

Speaking of On Land - I pretty much drool over the tools and objects that James (at least that's the name on the posts) has created over there - soffits and trims and fireplaces, and on and on... Pretty cool, must be very nice to work a firm with someone always working to update and enhance AC.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i couldn't agree more! i work in a small office and had to be self taught. resources like these are invaluable to me.
Erich
Booster
I also agree James Murray's online cad standards manual is a fantastic site. As our firm is planning to make the switch to Archicad soon and we do similar work to what Mr. Murray's firm does (see http://www.rilldecker.com/ ) I try to glean as much as possible from what he allows us to see or even occasionally use.

Thank for being an inspiration.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Djordje
Virtuoso
Chris wrote:
Speaking of On Land - I pretty much drool over the tools and objects that James (at least that's the name on the posts)
You can see the gentleman here too ... James Murray
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Jesikuh123 wrote:

change your model view options . . .

~/archiben
I have- but they st ill show as dotted on RCP.
If I say show ebtire beam on RCP it shows as dotted, if I say show countour line it shows as dotted.

I guess I am missing a linetype setting in the beam settings box somewhere?
__archiben
Booster
sorry - that was my bad . . . i thought you were after solid contours on your RCP and a dashed centreline on your floor plans.

you could probably fiddle with cut-planes, line types and projection types to get something close to what you're after but it sounds like too much trouble. do you need the full contours on your floor plan?

i tend to work with beams set to the 'outline' only projection type, but only show their contours as and when i need them . . . otherwise, when they are shown, it is just their centreline that displays . . .

sorry again . . . i should read rather than scan!

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
James Murray wrote this post in 2007.

"A beam, or any other ceiling element, should be shown dashed in the architectural plan, because it's overhead. That same beam needs to be shown solid in the reflected ceiling plan, because then you're upside down looking straight at it. Using a conventional beam element, you would draw it with a dashed line in plan. But you can't show the same element in the RCP, because you can't make the beam draw itself solid. So you trace the beams with lines."

And there still isn't a solution?