Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

whats the deal with the new version?

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is just a general comment on the new version.

I just do not get Graphisoft. It seems they release a new version every 9 months or as soon as I get used to the last one. Instead of releasing a new version with new features (with bugs) and the older features from the last version now fixed, wouldn't it be better to release a new version with features that work properly?

Also the new interface is too complicated. Too many menus and such. Many of the menu commands have been moved to different places and there are too many "options/preferences" commands in the menus. Objects now have too many drop down command boxes as well. Everything seems poorly laid out and organized as well. This eats into my time when I am working, because I have to find commands AGAIN when I knew where they were before. But now because some of them are in different places, it is much more of a pain and time consuming.

I would have sent this direct to Graphisoft product development instead of bothering the people on this message board, but I couldn't find a feedback form (either there is not one or there website is a mess like their program)

Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21
TomWaltz
Participant
This is the only one I know of:
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/ask_us.asp
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
nsiter wrote:
well said! i hope that graphisoft are out there listening to their users before i becomes to late . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Rod Jurich
Contributor
~/archiben wrote:
nsiter wrote:
well said! i hope that graphisoft are out there listening to their users before it becomes too late . . .

~/archiben
You have my support also, maybe we could start a class action. Our local reseller is afraid to pick the phone up when I call. But I'm also afraid that we will not see anything positive from GS. If the WE was not available, 10 would have been resigned to the round file. As you may guess this may have been my last investment in GS.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
__archiben
Booster
Rod wrote:
... maybe we could start a class action.
oooh! did you not read the license agreement?!
Archicad wrote:
Although Graphisoft has tested the Software, the Software is sold "AS IS," without any warranty; expressed or implied, as to its conformity to or fitness for any particular purpose, or that the Software will perform uninterrupted and without errors. ....
and my favourite part . . .
Archicad wrote:
In no event shall Graphisoft be liable for any loss or damages whatsoever, including but not limited to loss of data, damages for lost income, business interruption, loss of business information, or other special, incidental, consequential, exemplary, multiple, or indirect damages or other pecuniary loss, arising from the use or misuse of the Software, or otherwise under this Agreement, even if Graphisoft or its employees, resellers, or agents have been advised or should have known of the possibility of such damages.
"who me?"

oh yeah - just in case you were wondering why Graphisoft Australia never seem to respond to technical queries . . . they don't actually have to:
Archicad wrote:
This Agreement DOES NOT give you the right to any technical support for, or upgrades to, the Software which Graphisoft may offer from time to time. Graphisoft may, at its option and as part of its sales policy, make such technical support and upgrades available to registered users of the Software under terms to be determined from time to time by Graphisoft or its distributors.
good stuff, eh?
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
TomWaltz
Participant
Ben's got a point. By using the software, you agreed the only warranty GS owes you is on the CD the software came on.
Tom Waltz
__archiben
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
Ben's got a point. By using the software, you agreed the only warranty GS owes you is on the CD the software came on.
that's a relief! i may get a scratch on my disk image!

to be fair though, this kind of limited warranty is not just a graphisoft thing: all major software vendors (and other service providers) state pretty much the same thing. a result of litigious cultures being allowed to grow with little regulation over the years . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
TomWaltz
Participant
~/archiben wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
that's a relief! i may get a scratch on my disk image!

to be fair though, this kind of limited warranty is not just a graphisoft thing: all major software vendors (and other service providers) state pretty much the same thing. a result of litigious cultures being allowed to grow with little regulation over the years . . .

~/archiben
Read the Microsoft Visual Studio EULA some time.... basically you are not allowed to develop a product that competes with anything they make!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
nsiter wrote:
Sing it loud, brother!

I really, really wish I had not migrated my current project into 10. I'm busting my butt to get these drawings done so I can get this thing out to the contractor so I can get my house fixed so I can move back in, with my life coming down around my ears, and for the life of me, I simply cannot figure out how to get the damned layouts done. They're breathing down my neck as well, and I'm sure they must think I'm an idiot because I can't figure out how to set up my drawings to print.

There are a few features I really like, and I know I'd like the new rendering capabilities if I can ever get that far, but I've spent so much time messing with just trying to find the most basic commands I need that it's just not worth it. I think I may revert to 9.

As to EULAs, I don't even read them any more, because they are all similarly insane. If you need a particular program, you need that program, and you are pretty much compelled to agree to whatever they want you to. And who can remember the details of what any of them actually say, even if you do read them?

Wendy
KeesW
Advocate
Come on, guys, give the new interface a go! They can't keep everything the same to please those who got used to version 4.5! I initially felt the same as you and used the version 9 interface. In the last few weeks, since attending an upgrade training course, I've started to use the new interface and I think that I'm starting to like it. Still can't find a few thing though but that wiill change.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU