Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Beam length schedule issue

Milan
Enthusiast

Guys, once again thing that I don't get it!

I have a curved beam (vertically), and I'm trying to do quantities for it, but one simple parameter I can't extract, and it is Beam Length. All I can get is 3d Length, Left and right length. I tried all of them, left and right leave me empty field in a schedule, but 3d length is not correct. Is way smaller that in reality should be!

Is this value that is correct and that I need to show in my schedule? Any idea? 

Snimak ekrana 2024-09-10 141844.png

Operating system used: Windows 11

15 REPLIES 15
Barry Kelly

3D length is the length of the centre of the beam.

It is not the length of the reference line, and the reference line length can not be scheduled for some reason.

It seems accurate to me.

All of these beams span 2.000 long in plan.

BarryKelly_0-1726107665902.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hey Barry!

Thanks again!

Im neither sure why refference line is not scheduleable. I will however check with different refference line placement...not sure exactly about "centre of the beam" thing..

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

The 3D Length takes into consideration cuts, joins etc to the Beam, so having the Reference Line length in the Schedule may result in a misleading value - because it's not based on geometry.

We can reconsider though, if you think the reference line length is useful and considered accurate for your needs.

James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager

Hey James! Thanks for the reply. 3D Length is actually good parameter, and is showing whats needs to be shown. But in this case is not showing properly, because 3d length and refference line length are the same. I will however check with detail, maybe I have some hidden layer that is cutting piece

Also, used SEO to extract some beam area (those are actually planks for the facade) and didnt take any effect on 3d length... 

Those beams are all plumb and vertical.  As I understand it, he is trying to make a vertically arched beam that is tilted.  "Is both inclined and vertically curved, quarter of a circle, "  It is not possible to make an ArchiCAD beam do that - let alone schedule it for the length of its radius relative to various selected reference line location.   

SteveJepson_0-1726171343647.png

The length of the reference line is probably not going to be useful data anyway for a beam like this because it is not going to be relative data for fabrication.  This is a situation where drawings are essential and the data you can extract to a Schedule is pretty much useless.

Can a person find the length a radius as I have shown above?  Yes.  The line of the radius shown (or any other location on a beam) is make made by adding a line/morph to the beam that has already been converted to a morph because it is the only way possible to model such a beam.   In Section view, rotate the radius/morph to flat.  Then in 2d view make a wall or beam and stretch it of fit that curve.   Now you have something you can extract a reference line length from.   Why a person would want that in a schedule I am not able to imagine.   Whoever would use that data from the schedule is still going to need drawings to go with it - making the data for length of reference line pretty much useless.   

I see that the program which must not be named 🙂  has a video for how to do it.  https://youtu.be/olX5sqc_dcE?si=P8iM49SRPsO_xK1j

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Setup info provided by author