Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Slow saving in AC10 file with hotlinks

I hit 'Save' and AC shows me an 'Updating Hotlink Modules' window with a progress bar that looks frozen for ever and ever, and the cursor goes into spinning beachball mode alternating with spinning black and white quadrants thingie mode alternating with wristwatch mode, and this goes on for about a minute, and I feel like doing terrible things to the world. This happens every freaking time I save.

The file has a few hotlinks within itself (some workshop story shows as a hotlink in some other story) and also has .mod files brought in, which are published from an AC 9 file. Any of these could be a factor, or the slow save is normal?

I looked around for a way to disable the auto hotlink update when saving (I don't remember that happening in 9 with the same file) and didn't find anything.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it the same saved over the network and locally?
Matthew wrote:
Is it the same saved over the network and locally?
I tried re-publishing all the external modules from 10 and redirecting the hotlinks to the new AC10 modules, and it makes no difference.

I tried making everything local, and the difference is immaterial.

I tried exactly the same file with the same hotlinks in the same locations in the same network, in AC 9: I get some 15 secs in AC 9 and 2 mins in AC 10.

A lot of the AC 10 time goes into the 'Updating Hotlink Modules' that simply does not happen in 9. It does the same freaking thing when opening the file.

There are 2 hotlinks of stories within the file itself, and a total of 33 instances of 3 very simple .mod files (30, 2, and 1) like planters and such. Nothing extreme.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Which AC are the library parts in the hotlinks from?
I have found some of the earlier AC library parts quite slow in AC10.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Erika wrote:
It is not the libraries (all are SE9), it is the automatic hotlink update every time it opens or saves. I can't find a setting to control that.

I just tried breaking the hotlinks and the Save time goes from some 2 minutes (be it networked or local) to some 6 seconds.
TomWaltz
Participant
Ignacio wrote:
Erika wrote:
It is not the libraries (all are SE9), it is the automatic hotlink update every time it opens or saves. I can't find a setting to control that.

I just tried breaking the hotlinks and the Save time goes from some 2 minutes (be it networked or local) to some 6 seconds.
It's under "Data Safety" in your Work Environment.
Tom Waltz
TomWaltz wrote:
I want to kiss you.
TomWaltz
Participant
Ignacio wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:
I want to kiss you.
I think we should just be friends.
Tom Waltz