Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

schedule of fills from an elevation

PaulS
Participant
I would like to have an auto-summed list of areas taken from an elevation. my guess is that it cannot be done? I work in both v16 and v17. is there a work-around??? thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd like the same feature. Weird that it's not available. Is there hope in ArchiCAD18? Either way it's worth sending the request to Graphisoft.
Eduardo Bell
Contributor
This is how I do it:
1. Select all fills you want grouped together and give them the same ID.

2. Set up your schedule to filter them by ID to add them up.

Done.

Ed
v4.55 to v27-b4030 MacBookPro 8-Core Intel i9 16GB ram AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB vram OS Monterey v 12.7.1
Barry Kelly
It is not possible to schedule anything in an elevation.
The only work around I can think of is to copy the fills and paste them to the side of your plan.
Then they will schedule but will not update automatically if you adjust the fills in elevation.
You will need to copy/paste to the floor plan again making the same changes there as you have in the elevation.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eduardo Bell
Contributor
Yes, this is strictly a 2D technique. May help to select the elevations in a Worksheet and use those fills for the scheduling, you can then update as needed and will not have to deal with mixing 2D and 3D on the same window.
v4.55 to v27-b4030 MacBookPro 8-Core Intel i9 16GB ram AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB vram OS Monterey v 12.7.1
Barry Kelly
Eduardo wrote:
Yes, this is strictly a 2D technique. May help to select the elevations in a Worksheet and use those fills for the scheduling, you can then update as needed and will not have to deal with mixing 2D and 3D on the same window.
As far as I know you can't schedule anything in a worksheet.
You can only schedule what is in the plan (2D & 3D elements).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
PaulS wrote:
I would like to have an auto-summed list of areas taken from an elevation. my guess is that it cannot be done? I work in both v16 and v17. is there a work-around??? thanks.
You can use a Trace Reference of what ever it is you want to know the area of.
The Trace Reverence can be temporarily moved to where ever you want it and you can trace it with a fill to get the areas into an Interactive Schedule.

Like Edwardo, I also assign an ID to the fill. And I add an ID Label so that drawings of the fills will match the schedule.

It helps to use a %25 fill or similar with no background so it is transparent while your placing the fill over a Trace Reference and you can see what your doing.

Of course there are other ways to get the surface areas of things into an interactive schedule but they are not always so verifiable or accurate as this less sophisticated way of doing it.

For example, surface areas the siding. The siding may extend above the top of the wall up to the bottom of the top chord of the trusses with a raised heel. Also, the siding may extend down below the bottom of the wall to cover the rim joist and mud sill + just a little.

There are many situation where you can reduce the amount of modeling you might have been doing strictly for the sake of schedules that is not necessary if you are getting your surface areas this way.

There are lots of ways to use this technique.

See attached image.
2014-06-26_8-26-26.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now in Archicad 19 and still you can't list fill areas from Elevations? Or am I wrong? Any other ideas apart from copying all fills back to the 2D plan Workspace?
I think you are correct. You still can't extract the area of a fill in Elevation into a schedule.
Copy and paste to a plan view is the way I am still doing it because of the advantage this method has in adjusting the area manually to places like the bottom of the frieze board, around the glass- not the sash, to include the surface at the rim joists, notching around things...

It would be very useful to extract the area of a fill from an elevation into a schedule.

The need for this is at least in some way relative to how you model the walls and if your using SEO on parts of it, is it a Complex Profile...lots of things to consider, all of which would be simpler if we could extract the area of a fill from an elevation into a schedule.

For example, the surface area of lap siding is never the same as the wall height because of the soffit, frieze board, and perhaps a water table or other trim. So the surface area you can extract from a wall is not really useful for everything.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

This is still true of Archicad 25 - Super disappointing and confusing! I genuinely do not understand why they would exclude elevations from the (very powerful) utility of automatic scheduling.  We are trying to use automatic scheduling to extract quantities for quoting and not being able to use this approach for wall tile is frustrating.