Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Viewing Multiple Windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. First time poster.

I have recently commenced a role as a draftsperson using ArchiCAD. I am previously a REVIT user and upon entering this role I was given only basic training using ArchiCAD. Which is fine, I enjoy the challenge.

One feature of Revit I particularly enjoyed was the ability to have multiple windows open simultaneously (3d view, floor plan, section all at the same time for example). This enabled me to instantly see how the changes I was making to a model were affected in a different view, allowing for a speedy understanding of the modelling process.

Is this something that is possible in ArchiCAD? I find it to be a less informative and less productive process when I have to continuously change between screens to see how changes are being affected in a different view.

Any help will be tremendously appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18
Barry Kelly
Each view (plan, 3D, elevations, sections, etc.) are all in their own windows - each with their own minimise and maximise buttons.
By defaullt they are probably maximised so the one you are working in will always sit in front.

So it is possible to resize the windows and position them where you want.
However only the one you are working in is current and the others will not show you any changes until you physically click in them to make them active and then they will update automatically.

You can close any of the windows except the floor plan window and the file will remain open.
Sections and elevations will by default open in one window only but you can right mouse click on a section or elevation view and choose "open in new window".
I think there is a Work Environment setting that will allow for individula sections and elevations by default.

You can also open more than one Archicad program and therefore have more than one job open (each instance of Archicad can only open one file at a time).
Then you can copy and paste between files if needed.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Barry, that was very helpful.

It's a shame that the other windows don't update automatically and that you have to click in the window for the desired view to update, as this is a feature that Revit has that I love. Maybe I could suggest this to ArchiCAD.
Gus
Newcomer
Go to the "wishes" part of this forum and post this as a "wish." I too believe this would be an amazing addition to the program. I've thought this for many years. One thing I have noticed is that if I have several tabs/views open such as 3D, Section, and plan, one of those often bugs out then crashes. I'm guessing that this overloads the graphics processor or something? If anyone knows how I can keep ArchiCAD from bugging out (psychedelic colors and lines everywhere in one of the windows) when three or more are visible at once. I would love to hear how that can be fixed. I'm running 3 monitors with a pretty beefy graphics card: Quadro K2000m
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Gus wrote:
One thing I have noticed is that if I have several tabs/views open such as 3D, Section, and plan, one of those often bugs out then crashes. I'm guessing that this overloads the graphics processor or something? If anyone knows how I can keep ArchiCAD from bugging out (psychedelic colors and lines everywhere in one of the windows) when three or more are visible at once. I would love to hear how that can be fixed. I'm running 3 monitors with a pretty beefy graphics card: Quadro K2000m
In my experience when you see something like this it is usually a graphics card driver problem. A driver upgrade (or downgrade) could be the solution.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rgarand
Booster
You would think the auto updating of other windows would be possible now since they are supposedly updating in the background anyway(Version 19). When I was learning 3D Studio Max back in the early 90's this was standard throughout all of the working windows.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Only loosely related but a WINDOW question nonetheless....
In 19, I love the new docking (mac) features... but ONE of my projects chose the LAYOUT window as the BASE window and my 2d PLAN window becomes a FLOATING WINDOW... I cannot see a way to make it part of the DOCK...

The PREFER TO OPEN IN A NEW WINDOW is switched off in the EXTRA OPTIONs portion of the Work Environment settings... I've tried a number of buttons here and there, but no luck...

Wouldn't really be the end of the world, but OFTEN a different program will stick windows in between my plan window and the rest of archicad... so no tools or palettes are available... Have to switch to LAYOUT and back to PLAN to get them to show.

This was a project upgraded from 18... I remember reading there might be issues there, but other projects with a similar upgrade path have worked correctly...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Eduardo Rolon
You must have undocked the window by mistake and once undocked it will remain like that until you select to "Dock All Windows" from the Window Menu.
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 1.58.11 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
I sometimes keep the 3D Window undocked so that I can use Mission Control to jump faster to it.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Excellent! I'll try it next time I'm in that file...

Based on your answer here... UNDOCKING the OBJECT EDITOR window should also be a benefit...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop