Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

mac screen flicker/blinking

John Weaver
Participant
This has been covered on older versions of software and seen fixes mostly for windows, but, after upgrading my iMac 27" 3.2 ghz core i5 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 1024 MB graphics card to Yosemite and using AC v18, my screen will start to flicker or blink when I am doing simple tasks like zooming in or even moving elements. Anyone know how to fix this
36 REPLIES 36
Eduardo Rolon
This is happening to me too on AC18.

nVidia Quadro FX 4800
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also happening on AC14 on Yosemite
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Gentleman,

We have started to get more reports of this but we are still gathering information about the issue. Can you please explain:

- Does the flickering happen for the entire view window? (floorpans, elevations, etc.)
- Or does the flickering only happen in specific windows such as a render window?
- How often does the flickering occur? (Constant, Intermittent,etc.)
- Does the flickering start when the program starts? Or does it appear after a period of time?
- Are there any applications running in the background when the flickering happens? (Perhaps Safari with a page running Flash animations).

Any specifics you can give us will help us determine the cause of the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Eduardo Rolon
The flickering in my case is usually the render window. Both during rendering and after finishing and with 2 AC sessions running at the time.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Eduardo,

Thank you for the reply. That is what I have noticed is the trend as well. If any others have more detail on their experience please post it here.

Best regards,
Nicholas Cornia
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
John Weaver
Participant
In my case it happens in plan view and happens intermittently, usually after I have been working on a file for a while. I have tried quitting safari when this is happening. I have also wondered if it might happen when time machine is backing up. It is worse when I zoom in or out or move lots elements. When the flicker happens a lot I try to take a break or slow down and the flicker will get better usually.

Thanks for looking into this
DGSketcher
Legend
For me the flickering seems to start when an entity is selected and I move the scroll wheel on my mouse. It isn't consistent though and I have had it in different windows. It might also be related to the use of the trace function; once I have used the trace function then the flickering becomes noticeable even when turned off.

Running latest versions of AC18 and Yosemite
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
My experience similar to DGSketcher and John Weaver. Inconsistent behavior; usually happens after a file has been open for a while (hours) - selection, mouse click. Other applications open, though not necessarily Safari or web browser. Thank you
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Thanks to all for the feedback. We'll look into it.
Nicholas Cornia
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center