Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

Can I edit material catalog?

CarlsonWang
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I  want to calculate the embodied carbon from my model, and I am trying to edit the building materials' physical properties.

As I know, the material catalog can load the physical properties, but the data is unsuitable for our country.

Can I edit the material catalog directly? or I can load it from my catalog.

it would be appreciated if anyone could provide a solution.

10 REPLIES 10
mhoude
Booster

Same for us we would like to modify the material catalog. We are looking for the software to make modification on Mac for . xml. We try to open with oxygen xml editor and it work. But we are afraid to save. Need help.

Lingwisyer
Guru

Lingwisyer_0-1689903697873.png

Just edit it in the Building Materials dialogue? Do remember though this is file specific, so if you make any changes and want them to carry over to other files, you will been to use the Attribute Manager to transfer them and possibly copy them over to the relevant template.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Thanks for the information but already know that we can modify from archicad the value . what we want to know is how to édit it we want to add a information like the R-value as a row. What softwares to use to édit .XML file on archicad

Jp1138
Expert

I don´t know if I understand you correctly, but you can create a new property and make it available to the materials:

Jp1138_2-1689924778842.png

Jp1138_1-1689924753914.png

Jp1138_0-1689924727674.png

ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10

Hello to everyone thanks for the answer but we already do that. What we want is to be able to modify the base of it and other .xml document. we need the software to edit those .xml so we put our need for the office.

Building_Materials.jpg

masterformat.jpg

Thanks for your suggestion, and yes, we modified the data in our template already. We keep trying to add more physical properties to building materials without creating a new tag in the property manager.

Yes, that was what we want. Is it possible to edit in XML editor?

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

My suspicion is that the Material Catalog is part of the ArchiCAD library. Since it is translated in our local version, but we only have attributes and library elements translated, not the actual interface of ArchiCAD.

Maybe extract the .LCF and see if you can find a file there.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

The material catalogue that you can use to load building material energy properties from can be found in your Archicad program folder ...

BarryKelly_0-1690273877470.png

It is an XML file.

Whether you can edit it or not I can't say - I have never tried.

But I guess if you have an XML editor, and you keep the same formatting, it may be possible.

Make a copy and give it a go.

The only thing is is that this file is just a list of properties you can choose from when setting up your attributes - one building material at a time.

It is not a file you can import and update all attributes.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11