Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

BIM Server 14 Library issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK,

We have finally got around to updating to v14, but are having some strange issues getting BIM Server Libraries to load.

On Client Machines:
In AC14, I cannot get BIM Server Libraries to load... they show in the list, but are listed as "offline". "Reload Libraries" does nothing.
In AC13 the BIM Server Libraries load fine.

On Server Machine:
In AC14 the BIM Server Libraries load fine.
In AC13 the BIM Server Libraries load fine.

So, as you can see, my issues is getting BIM Server Libraries to load into AC14 on client machines.

Any help is appreciated.
55 REPLIES 55
Erika Epstein
Booster
vfrontiers wrote:
BTW, I am asking because my server machine is running out of HD Space on it's internal drive, but there's room a plenty on an attached external drive.
You do need to keep the attachments on the same disc. Can you move some of the other shtuff now on the server onto the external drive?
vfrontiers wrote:
Also... what happens when my OFFICE LIBRARY, set up as a BIM Library has additions and subtractions? Does TW2 sync it? Or is there a manual sync required?
Manual update. It's actually a reload of the folder or lcf.

Yes, you are copying the entire AC library again to load it on the BIM server.

Don't forget to update your profile to include TW2
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK!

Thank you Gkmety.

Your solution solved my problem, I would never have guessed it myself.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Ok... I am on my 3rd or 4th try to get my OFFICE library in the BIM SERVER... Gets about 3/4 of the way done and stalls....

I am still concerned that working NON TEAMWORK projects and updating library parts will not flow thru to the Bim Server Library... Do I need to relegate ALL projects to the BIM SERVER?

Does it help if I create .lcf of my library?

So many questions, so little time.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am still concerned that working NON TEAMWORK projects and updating library parts will not flow thru to the Bim Server Library... Do I need to relegate ALL projects to the BIM SERVER?
We haven't had any issues using BIM Server Libraries on non-teamwork projects.
Does it help if I create .lcf of my library?
I have tried to do this before, but didn't seem to make any difference.
Erika Epstein
Booster
I put all libraries on the BIM server and use the same ones for solo projects so there is no maintenance duplication effort.

For set libraries like the Archicad ones or smart parts I use lcf. This forces all users to create new library parts rather than risk changing parts that are already in use.

New library parts can be maintained in folders and then only those folder need to be reloaded onto the BIMserver.

HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Erika wrote:
I put all libraries on the BIM server and use the same ones for solo projects so there is no maintenance duplication effort.

For set libraries like the Archicad ones or smart parts I use lcf. This forces all users to create new library parts rather than risk changing parts that are already in use.

New library parts can be maintained in folders and then only those folder need to be reloaded onto the BIMserver.

HTH
Sooooo.... if I just loaded my VF_OFFICE_Lib onto the server... it ends up bottled up in a YADAYADA.db file in the attachments folder, yes?

Then tomorrow, after making some changes to 1 object in my library I need to RE-UPLOAD my entire library? or does it know just to SYNK the one part that changed?

So should I have loaded all the subfolders individually?

Sorry.... I know it is possible for me to figure all this stuff out... I just don't have the time right now...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Duane,

Maybe this article helps to understand how the BIM server libraries work:
http://archicadwiki.com/Teamwork/ManageLibrary

But to answer your question in a short way: you edit/add/delete parts in the "source" folder of the BIM server library, then use the "manage BIM server libraries" dialog to "refresh" the library database on the BIM server. This will synchronize the "source" with the .db files on your server.

Make sure you have plenty hard disk space on your BIM server partition because the BIM server creates cache files that can grow up to gigabytes, depending on your use of the BIM server. The "project" and "attachment" folders can be on a different drive, but it has to be a local drive, it can not be a network drive.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
I'm currently having a problem with libraries...

from the wiki article i read:
"A Teamwork project has no linked libraries, only BIM Server libraries and an Embedded Library.
If changes are made to the source of a BIM Server library, the BIM Server library must be refreshed. (To do this, use the Refresh button in Manage BIM Server Libraries.)
The client has a local copy of the Library, which is updated from the BIM Server via Send/Receive."

So, i have placed a new object on my company's library.
I have refreshed the library on the BIM Server (checked the "Last Update" tab on the Manage BIM Server libraries, its OK)
I have sent&received about 100 times, but the new object doesn't appear on my library...
I check on the Local Data Manager, and i see that on the "Last used" tab it says: "21 days ago"... (see attached image) what does this mean? i suspect that the local copy of the library hasn't been updated...
(the same thing happens to all the computers)
Screen shot 2010-10-15.png
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are having the same issue (in the middle of a deadline, of course). It seems the only real solution is to setup a DNS for our small, little network of 6 people.
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
a response from GS would be greatly appreciated...
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL