Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Archicad or photoshop?

Aime
Newcomer
I am currently working on a painting scheme for this project. it was drawn in my pre-archicad days but client wants a paint study to enable make up his mind. The question is this would it be better done in photoshop or would an archicad model do the job? I'm not very conversant with photoshop but I wonder if it would be faster - the AC model is taking much time than expected. or is there a better way to achieve this?
[/img]

DSC03319a.JPG
Have you seen the light?
AC 12, AC14, win 7, Hp pavillion dv6 2.4Ghz, 4gb Ram
18 REPLIES 18
Aime
Newcomer
Dwight said
but have you considered prismacolor?
Haven't touched one of those for quite some time. Client is expecting something close to reality and I have to deliver. Like I said earlier, 've done a bit of work on AC 8.1 and touched it up in Artlantis 4.5. I know there's still work to do but wouldn't mind your comments at this stage. thanks
Have you seen the light?
Dwight
Newcomer
All this for lime chiffon?
Dwight Atkinson
Aime
Newcomer
Dwight wrote:
All this for lime chiffon?
Please can you be more elaborate? I will appreciate your concise and clear opinion. Thanks.
Have you seen the light?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since you already have a decent model at hand....I'd probably do the painting schemes straight off of archicad. Create a set of jpegs that would represent each of your color schemes so that you can change them accordingly in the materials settings dialog box using textures.
Anonymous
Not applicable
NAW!
no need for 3d model unless you need to explore or move in 3d for it, or will be rebuilding something.

3d = tons of time and energy with materials etc (but if you've already done it...)
PLUS TONS OF TIME rendering

rather
take the photos and tinker with them in photoshop with layers for the areas you want to change, plus put the shadows on a filter layer over all the above, then just duplicate the layers for color changes and have a good time with it!

TIP: Learn the keyboard shortcuts to the commands you'll be using, even if you're only going to spend a week with the software- it simply will save you a ton of clicking and time and effort. This ought to only take about 3-4 hours to do professional quality with every color under the rainbow (and a gig of space for the image). you can even scroll through the layers in front of the client and switch the colors till their eyes light up.
Photoshop 100% -even version 8 or 9 will work absolutely fine.

Djordje
Ace
Photoshop, definitely.

Especially when you need three angles, now.

Not.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Photoshop, definitely.

Especially when you need three angles, now.

Not.
Ummm... where did he say he needs 3 angles, like now???
I am assuming you're being sarcastic- sounds like it.

Djordje, have you used photoshop, esp. extensively? It is vastly easier to master, esp. for a new person who is having troubles doing color change-renders on a building for a single facade view that needs no 3d than something like achiCAD or any other CAD software and rendering package. For sure it is absolutely the solution for this paint scheme changing for one view on a building for a possibly picky client. With the layer adjustments and hue setting, one can make about 4-5 layers and manipulate them in real-time even with a shortcut and the mouse, for ANY color combination under the rainbow- until your client is happy. The ONLY tricky part is cropping the areas (20 minuntes of work) that you don't want to change colors, from the color layers, and the other tricky part is making a shadow layer (a simple B&W/greyscale mostly opaque layer on the top that is locked- it will keep the shadows all the time and "tint" whatever colors you change to keep the realistic "look").

It does not get any simpler than that.

I used to help admin a server forums for 3d modeling and mapping. We used to have to deal with cheeky hackers all the time. Before I became an admin I used to really get tired of them, but simply I didn't want to get banned by an admin for standing up to someone who wasn't on-par with their advice or input.

I've been using adobe since they first released their software, over 20 years ago.

Photoshop, or spend way senseless time modeling something you'll never need to have in 3d, now or ever. Unless of course, you neglected to tell us that you DO need it in 3d, in which case, Djordje is right (if he is being sarcastic), and us photoshopping recommenders are all wrong.

Djordje
Ace
JP-Design wrote:
Photoshop, or spend way senseless time modeling something you'll never need to have in 3d, now or ever. Unless of course, you neglected to tell us that you DO need it in 3d, in which case, Djordje is right (if he is being sarcastic), and us photoshopping recommenders are all wrong.
Nothing wrong with Photoshop, especially when used with knowledge and appropriately. Everything wrong when cutouts are plastered all over an oversaturated rendering with wrong size, proportion, shadows, you name it.

From an architect's point of view, especially one who uses Archicad as intended - modeling to produce construction documents. In that scenario, "something you don't need in 3D" does not exist - even as a fill.

Therefore, Photoshop yes, on finished images. Not as a tool to replace model/design/finishes variation. The problem is - people too often choose the "quick" and definitely dirty way to achieve a deadline, thereby killing all the upcoming ones.

A matter of approach ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Benjamin Moore Paint Co. makes a $ 10.00 (?) program that might be all you need for this. It's a bit crude but uses their official color palette. Basically, it works like a fill in Archicad. It's been updated since I used it last.

According to their FAQ, Windows Vista and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard are not yet supported.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com:80/bmpsweb/portals/bmps.portal?_nfpb=true&_windowLabel=sidebarportlet_1...