BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Basic Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I have 6 year experience in Archicad from version 6.5 and back then ArchiCAD was for me, a dream come true. Now we have ArchiCAD 10 and i think it is time for core changes!

My biggest wishes are:

1. Connected walls, slabs, columns and beams ruled by newly introduced priorities - Revit has that (giving us a clean sections without workarounds, and easy modifications!!!!)

2. New definition of materials as core concept of Archicad - materials should be connected with calculation. In fact materials should be calculation, as they are in real world transforming calculation in a whole new direction, property scripts linked within the attributes of wall/slab/beam/column defining the calculation whether we are talking volumes m3, surfaces m2, pieces, lenght..... Present situation with property objects is arrrrrh............................
If you have a composite wall made of 20cm thick concerte, 10 cm exterior insulation, 2cm interior finishing i want to be able to define: concrete is load bearing element and it is the core and it goes in construction works in calcuation with following keys descriptors and so on, same thing with insulation not a load bearing element it goes in insulation works in calculation - so program would know what to do when some variable changes within a wall, whether is height or thickness of individual composite resulting that we wouldn't need to do constant changes in database. Same thing goes for slabs, beams, columns. We all know that this kind of changes are the most common, this is the BASIC STUFF for me walls/slabs/beams/colums, and yes that include custom profiles tooooooo!!!!- Nemetschek has something like that

3. Core only display - ability to assign layers to composites within the wall/slab/beam... switching it of and on in connection with display options (but also to have a real representation in floor plan!!! e.g. a window in reflected celings should be diplayed as two lines of concrete hole, because now we have only two options a) no lines b) cut lines of entire wall not the core element only, and it is not the right way to display this in our CD i dont know how it is done in other countries though)

I know that users discused these topics before but I think these three things are connected and should be addresed as a SINGLE PROBLEM producing a SINGLE SOLUTION no more half now half in next version,
I`m aware that this means complete changes in program engine but in my humble opinion this is necessary.

I hope more experienced users would share their thoughts on this problem that i find THE most important one....

Thnx
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
Material take offs have been a long standing topic for me. Directly associating materials with calculations would be a huge step forward, however it is still complicated and I think needs to be developed with the ability to adjust composite skins with a pet pallet. We need a simple way to attach data base descriptors. I think if this could be done directly in the composite dialogue via pull down menus for each skin, then it would simplify things a lot. (easy for me to say:)

Rick, you are absolutely right. I attached a Nemetschek Allplan snapshot,
and you`ll see all those basic stuff we are talking about.

Don't get me wrong I`am not praising Nemetschek Allplan it has many flaws probably the biggest with unintuitive-horrific user interface and workprocess within the application, but basic stuff is solved in AllPlan MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER than in ArchiCAD...
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos wrote:
I am 100% sure relationships wont be a part of archicad (not in the near future) unfortunately.
1. Walls intersect (automatic)

2. Doors, windows and wall ends are related to walls (automatic and scriptable)

3. Elements can be grouped (manual)

4. Marquee and polygonal stretching (manual)

5. SEOs (semi-automatic)

6. Fills clean-up in section (automatic)

7. Surfaces clean up in rendering (automatic)

8. Associative dimensions (automatic)

9. Associative labels (automatic and sciptable)

10. Zone relationships (automatic, semi-auto, and scriptable)

11. Skylights are related to roofs (automatic and scriptable)

12. Quantity survey information (automatic and scriptable)

13. Schedules (automatic now in 10)

14. View/drawing cross referencing and document coordination (automatic, semi-auto and scriptable)

Anything I've forgotten?
Of course I haven't listed anything to do with add-ons like wall extras, ArchiTerra, etc.
There's plenty yet to be done, both to add and to improve, but it's a start.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew, it thought i was clear in what i mean with the term relationships.
Relationshipw between basic building elements. Walls, beams, columns slabs and roofs.

The only relationship true in archicad is bettween doors-windows and walls BUT this is not actually a true relationship, rather than an ownership and an easy one to be implemented

The revit-like relationships, is another story, a matter of taste and design of the program.

In your above list you even included auto-scheduling . Then you should include sections and elevations, but that has nothing to do with the relationships i talk about. Ofcourse if you look many years back, the procedure "change plan-> auto change elevation" was not for granted as it is now.

I will once again conclude give us gdl on steroids = gdl with user interaction and even handling
Learn and get certified!