Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Geo-referencing - maps with global coordinates combined with local (plan) views

My issue is as follows:

I import a DWG / DXF / SOSI / TXT map into a worksheet, and it has global coordinates (usually). 

I design my building in local coordinates (close to AC´s 0,0,0).

I use the global worksheet map as trace reference to fit my building to the site.

My wish is as follows:

I want to be able to see a plan view of my building on my worksheet map - NOT as trace reference, but as an updated representation of the selected plan view - that can be published as any other 2D format available. Just as you do with a layout. 

If anyone has a simple workaround, it would be great to hear from you. Also if this is already possible, and I'm just not that advanced yet.

regards
David G

ArchiCad since 8.1

Mac Studio (2022) - Apple M1 Ultra
macOS Monterey 12.4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Hi David,
The method I described allows all the design work in an orthogonal building model file. That model is then hotlinked into the site model file, where it can be rotated to the proper orientation. This avoids the awkwardness you describe.  Even better, other buildings (or phased development) can be added to the site model file. This is the method I’ve used for three multi-building campus developments over the years (the first in ACAD/ADT!).  Each architect had their own building model files which they updated into the campus site model file and it worked out very nicely.  It’s also extremely accurate when the CE’s key data points are included. Let me know if you would like more details on how this is set up.

“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Marius Mikeliunas
Participant

What if you place plan drawing on top of your worksheet map in layout? You can rotate drawings as you like, and this would give you drawing that automatically updates, and you can publish then to whatewer format you like.

W11, AC26

Yes, for presentation this is a very good idea. But for giving surveyors their data, it's not sufficient - I think. If you publish as DWG, you would have to publish the layout as DWG to get the plan view together with the map, and I don't think the placement/global information would follow the file? I think they use "model view" and "layout view" in AutoCad, and my two views (plan+map) would probably end up in their original location in "model view". I´m not very familiar with AutoCad, maybe I am wrong? 

regards
David G

ArchiCad since 8.1

macOS Monterey 12.4
Marc H
Advisor

Hi David,

If I understand correctly, you are looking to incorporate your building floor plan 'model view' into your site/context 'model view' so that you can export the combined result back out to a DWG for design survey work?  

One method I have used for a similar application (had a multi-building campus requiring site and first floor accessibility assessments), is to first set up a site model file by either a) setting up a mesh based on the existing site survey DWG, or b) place a clean* version of the existing survey DWG into the model view (not worksheet).  The origin of your site model or DWG can be adjusted to whatever coordinates you need, and/or you can introduce a few monument-like objects in the model to use as reference.  

Second, with the site mesh or DWG in place, you can then hotlink your building model in at the proper coordinate/s using your monuments as a guide, taking care to link the stories if you have significant slopes in your topography.  [Note: I set the building insertion point at the SW corner, usually using a field-verifiable node (e.g., column or other structurally significant point), as recommended by my CE.]  At this point, you can rotate the hotlink/s as needed to adjust for building orientation variable to the site.

Now, with both the site and building/s in model view, you can create your view for DWG export. If you used a mesh, you can also create sectional views for elevational study, etc.

*Clean = meaning lean DWG model file with only essential layers and 2D elements.

Example of Bldg hotlinked into site mesh based on survey..png
“The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” - Abraham Lincoln

AC27 USA on 16” 2019 MBP (2.4GHz i9 8-Core, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8G GDDR5, 500GB SSD, T3s, Trackpad use) running Sonoma OS + extended w/ (2) 32" ASUS ProArt PAU32C (4K) Monitors

Thanks, Marc

I once tried designing mye building straight into global coordinates, against all recommendations. It was not a great experience.

So usually I use a method like yours for all 3D purposes - I move the mesh closer to AC´s 0,0 and "define" 0,0 as a global coordinate . And I keep "true north", although I don't like designing with a funky angle (even when using "set orientation"-function).

It would just make everything so easy to be able to place an internal view onto a worksheet with a global 2D map - as you do with views onto a layout. 

regards
David G

ArchiCad since 8.1

macOS Monterey 12.4
Solution

Hi David,
The method I described allows all the design work in an orthogonal building model file. That model is then hotlinked into the site model file, where it can be rotated to the proper orientation. This avoids the awkwardness you describe.  Even better, other buildings (or phased development) can be added to the site model file. This is the method I’ve used for three multi-building campus developments over the years (the first in ACAD/ADT!).  Each architect had their own building model files which they updated into the campus site model file and it worked out very nicely.  It’s also extremely accurate when the CE’s key data points are included. Let me know if you would like more details on how this is set up.

PMK! Just publish a PMK-file and place it with Drawing tool on any view.

regards
David G

ArchiCad since 8.1

macOS Monterey 12.4

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!