BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

The new working environment, was Open two stories ...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to be able to open multiple plan view windows, but it would almost certainly involve a major overhaul of the way the program works. ArchiCAD (despite inventing the BIM concept) is plan centered for historical reasons (it allowed the program to run on the much slower machines of twenty years ago). Prior to version 5.1 the plan view was the only way to edit the model with 3D and section views as strictly 2D output.

To allow multiple plan views would (IMHO) require the major change of going from the historically plan centered to a model centered approach. The primary interface to the project would become the 3D window and everything else would behave as specialized views of the model.

I don't mean by this to imply that I object in any way to the idea of multiple plan views. In fact it is part of my ultimate fantasy of how ArchiCAD should operate.

What I am imagining (perhaps in ArchiCAD 11?) is:

- The 3D window is the primary and central interface for developing and navigating through the model.

- 3D navigation and editing with the ease of SketchUp and the power and accuracy of ArchiCAD.

- Instant 3D cut-away views of any plan, section or detail in the main model window. This means that the model is cut as defined in the particular view but is still be free to move and edit normally in 3D.

- The option to ghost the 2D elements in the above cut-aways. (I'm not sure how useful this would be, but it sure would look cool.)

- View types: Plan (floor & ceiling), Section & Elevation, Interior Elevation (that knows what room it's in, and not a kludgy add-on), Details, and 3D Views. (This is really just the current types with the addition of Plan views)

- 3D views would be separate windows for axon or perspective views with the ability to annotate in the model or the view plane (ie. dimensions oriented to the model in an isometric projection and notes and titles oriented to the page).

- Plan views: In addition to the variable cut height also share the section tool's ability to offset so that split levels or other conditions could be easily and accurately drawn. Setting the plan's cut height also eliminates the annoying split walls we have to use to model transom windows etc.

- Ceiling Plans: Like the floor plan views only looking up. I probably don't have to tell anyone all the workarounds this eliminates. Imagine, easy ceiling plans that look exactly the way you want them to.

- Plan boundaries: The plans are (optionally?) bounded allowing the tool to be used for enlarged plans which are still live model views. (This is a major limitation of the detail tool for this purpose.)

- Sections: The section tool is visible and editable in the main model window (as is the plan tool; perhaps only when the view is activated in the 3D window). The section tool has the ability to offset both vertically and horizontally allowing different section locations through each floor (and ending up at the ridge if desired).

- Details: These are still 2D drawings (derived from the model) as far as I am concerned. I find that if I want to correct the model to make the detail work there is much more to it than just the limited area of the detail.

- General: All views have the option to display as line drawings, shaded views, or rendered by any available engines including any combination of these with or without shadows as appropriate (and feasible). Imagine a site plan with notes and dimensions rendered with shadows in a watercolor style for the Planning Board hearing.

What do you think folks?

Would you buy this upgrade?

PS: I know this probably belongs in the wish list. I got a bit carried away beyond multiple story windows or live details.
Perhaps this whole topic should move to the wish list. (What do you think Djordje?)
31 REPLIES 31
Andy Thomson
Advisor
I don't hear anyone proposing that the plan view be done away with, and I am new to this thread Matthew, but why couldn't plan cuts - as an enhancement and addition to the traditional AC plan view come from the 'reference levels'? With the option to look up or down?

As for multiple windowing that retains viewset behaviors, right on.

I love working in Maya for this aspect of windowing and how the tumble pivot is handled - I have accepted the 'look to' button as a near equal, but not as elegant in AC's 3D navigation.

Having a single hotkey (in Maya the spacebar) to toggle between 4 views and plan view is very powerful and fast - AND each 'view' or window can be predetermined as coming from a respective 'camera' - which in the case of ArchiCad would be a given parallel view, or maybe even a 3D view, in the form of a pulldown menu/jumpmenu at the top of the windowed view, the jumpmenu would show all views (Elevation N, S, 2nd Floorplan, etc.), and the hotkey would split the main window into user-defined views, say 4 to start with, 1) Plan - traditional, 2) Default Front (3D view not elevation), 3) Default Side (3D view), 4) Default 'Back' also axo/3D view, then add plan cuts with a tool like S/E's, look up or down, and its elevation - the plan cut tool, can be manually set/adjusted in the 3D windows/views - which effectively alters the reference level.

Each Plancut S/E Marker/tool/instance carries its reference level.

Then, ah, wishes for proper modelling, I have done so many weird booleaned meshes saved as rotated library objects (for my colleagues, for they have dared not venture into the dark world or radical AC modelling yet, where I have no choice) I cannot number them, this month alone! Crazy architects!

Please GS step up to the plate with some proper stretchy GDL commands, autofolding behavior etc!!!
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't gone over these original suggestions from Matthew in some time. After doing so it is plain that this is what we want ArchiCad to be! Lets not let these suggestions and vision not get forgotten.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=864&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
Learn and get certified!