Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Better single object selection

Anonymous
Not applicable
It happens to me all the time. I have walls and slabs and lines overlapping.
And say i need to select only the line.
It would be nice, if the object line is active (and another button pressed meaning selection is on and not constuction) clicking at a certain point will pick only the line (slab wall whatever) object.
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I totally agreee with you (even though you're metric). AC 7 and before did this fine. Something happened in AC 8 that changed this behavior (for one the CAPS LOCK key doesn't work). I find it nearly impossible to select object somtimes. Am I missing somehting?
Djordje
Ace
oreopoulos wrote:
It happens to me all the time. I have walls and slabs and lines overlapping.
And say i need to select only the line.
It would be nice, if the object line is active (and another button pressed meaning selection is on and not constuction) clicking at a certain point will pick only the line (slab wall whatever) object.
Activate the tool of the object you want to select. Hold down Shift and click with Mercedes on the slab (or the wall, or the line). It selects the object whose tool is active.

I am of the old school that frowns on selecting with clicking around with the arrow tool ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:

I am of the old school that frowns on selecting with clicking around with the arrow tool ...
I AM FROM THE SAME SCHOOL. SEEMS TO ME THAT AC 7 WAS BETTER AT THIS. IF I HAVE TWO LINES THAT ARE ON TOP OF ONE ANOTHER IT IS NOW VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO TOGGLE THROUGH YOUR SELECTION WITH THE MERCEDES SYMBOL TO GET TO THE SECOND LINE (OR FILL, OR WALL…). THE OLD WAY, IF CAPS LOCK WAS ON IT TOGGLED AND VICE VERSA AT LEAST WORKED. AM I STILL MISSIBNG SOMETHING?
1505Gough wrote:
AM I STILL MISSING SOMETHING?
You are missing Caps Lock, as am I. Without it, you must click around in the frowned-upon manner in order to select, e.g., one of two or more coincident slabs. To sort a single slab from a pile, tool-activation works reliably.
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Dave Jochum
Advocate
The other problem with the current operation is that it seems you have to keep clicking in fairly rapid succession to keep from entering modification mode, from which you have to ESCAPE and start all over again.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
The other problem with the current operation is that it seems you have to keep clicking in fairly rapid succession to keep from entering modification mode, from which you have to ESCAPE and start all over again.
I think if you only click with the mercedes symbol (versus the checkmark), it will not bring up the pet pallette.
MMontgomery
Enthusiast
yep just choose the tool corresponding to what your trying to select (i.e. line tool) then shift click where the line is - it will only select lines. I fyou have multiple lines over each other it will cycle through them.

Another way is to choose the line tool, draw a tiny marquee around the area where you know your line is and then hit CTRL+A (select all) - it'll select all lines within the marquee area.
AC 6-27 - Intel i9-9900K - RTX3090 - Windows 11 - 64GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
MMontgomery wrote:
I fyou have multiple lines over each other it will cycle through them.
You must be using AC 7 or older. With 8.0 (at least the MAC version) and above this shift-click combo doesn't work anymore. Unless I am missing something...
Aussie John
Newcomer
1505Gough wrote:
You must be using AC 7 or older. With 8.0 (at least the MAC version) and above this shift-click combo doesn't work anymore. Unless I am missing something...
Doesn't cycle for me either
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]