Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Brick Dims!

J Higgins
Contributor

The ability to snap walls to brick dimensions would be incredibly useful. In all our projects, even those not involving bricks, we adhere to brick dimensions. Having a feature that allows walls and wall openings to snap to these dimensions would be a huge time-saver. I've worked on numerous projects where other companies didn't align with brick dimensions in Archicad, causing us to make adjustments later. While I understand this is an issue with those companies, having a native solution in the software would surely minimize the need for these adjustments.

4 REPLIES 4

The generalisation of this wish is the ability to Lock input to Working Unit's number of decimals which fully developed could give a smart grid snap functionality based on the tracker which would allow for the full potential of graphical input. So when for example working on brick walls the user would activate the "brick working dimensions" and get snaps at the correct intervalls.

Barry Kelly

You can set up your main grid, auxiliary grid and snap grid to snap to brick coursing now.

Just activate grid snap (to snap grid or construction grid) when you need to use it (placing or adjusting walls, doors, windows), and turn it off when you don't want to snap.

BarryKelly_0-1716429592860.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

That's fine for brick width, but bricks have different height and length that aren't always multiples of the width (eg. standard Australian brick is 110 W x 76 H x 230 L) - being able to set these three paramaters in the snap units would be the best solution IMHO, with wall reference line snapping to {L} (perhaps a modifier keyt to snap to 0.5x{L}) and wall height snapping to {H}. It would of course be up to the user to ensure the brick skin was the correct width {W} 

The above grid I showed is for the brick size you mention.

You would always need to set it to the smaller 1/2 length if you want the option of 1/2 brick sizes.

For a 290 x 90 x 172 modular brick you can set to 10 (main), 90 (Aux) and 100 (snap) for 1/3 bond and 10 (main), 140 (Aux) and (150) snap for 1/2 bond.

Unfortunately there is no vertical grid snap.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11