Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Cover & Background Fills for Beams

Anonymous
Not applicable
Beams should have Cover Fills and Background Fills!
There should be different fills for Cover Fill and Cut Fill, like Slabs, and not like Walls, where the fill is the same!

Right now I am modelling a pergola and I have to use the Fill Tool to cover the beam so it could be clear which one is above the other. I lost as much time drawing the Fills as making the Beams!
69 REPLIES 69
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ever hopeful, and in the ongoing effort to keep this topic alive, how about some control over beam transparency in plan views, GS?
If for no other reason than because it would cut Framing Plan generation time at least in half, and framing plan edit time by considerably more.
Seems that users have been clear about the value of this, and that there has been enough time to have done something about it. What IS the problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here!
Using the beam as a complex profile (walls often interfere from other walls which are up against them) will require the created element to cover others below. Can't believe it's not a feature in it!!
C'mon Graphisoft!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Fingers crossed for 21!
Paul King
Mentor
Still no fix in ArchiCAD 20 - somebody in product development seems to be asleep at the wheel
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am afraid I do not see any Cover & Background Fills for Beams in ARCHICAD 21 either.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Paul King
Mentor
Have they at least finally fixed the issue of beam ends always being vertical for inclined beams? A beam should be much like a complex profiled version of a roof
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
No, I don't see such a feature either.
Per my experience, GRAPHISOFT usually likes to take larger areas of the program and do a large amount of development on it at a time as opposed to adding some small enhancements - of course there are many examples for both cases. So maybe they will at some point in the future decide to develop the Beam Tool further and then solve all these various issues of it. (Just a guess on my part.)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh great I see there is already a wish for adding fills to beams, saves me having to create another thread, oh and I also see it has been here since archicad 14 and probably before then also as other wishes have probably dropped off the list, such a fundamental thing to be able to add a cover fill in plan to a beam in 2d yet seemilngly the people at graphisoft are too busy coming up with innovative new solutions to be bother fixing the bugs that have been around for years. while we are at it can we add more 'levels' for layers and elements to be able to lap over each other it seems to be limited to around 15 or 18 layers?
This particular request to have fills for beams is 10 years old.
Is this because it is easy for users to edit the GDL script for beams?

If so, someone please post the script.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Barry Kelly
Steve wrote:
This particular request to have fills for beams is 10 years old.
Is this because it is easy for users to edit the GDL script for beams?

If so, someone please post the script.
As with any object it should be relatively easy to add a POLY_ for the fill if it doesn't already have the option.

This request however is for the beam tool (not objects) as all they show are the outer and reference lines.
No cover fills like slabs or roofs.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11