Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Enter key in AC9

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems that the enter key should work as expected and be used to place the text block on the drawing and not just place a return. We already have a key for that function. If it bothers many people to change it, at least give us an option for the enter key function.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder if this is for laptop users who often have only one Enter/Return key. I do like the new Command/Control+Return/Enter for this reason, but why can't we have both? Command/Control+Return/Enter on the main keyboard and just plain Enter on the keypad.
Thomas Holm
Booster
Should be no problem to program. The keycodes are different. Sketchup's programmers did it after tester's request.

But still, Magnify Palettes is more important!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a way to program a shortcut key to replicate the function of the old enter, and essentially get the option that way?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Weston wrote:
Is there a way to program a shortcut key to replicate the function of the old enter, and essentially get the option that way?
I didn't see any way to map it to a different key in the work environment. Anyway, I just feel the function is plain wrong. Enter should place the text : return places a carriage return.
__archiben
Booster
Millard wrote:
Enter should place the text : return places a carriage return.
agreed. completely.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Millard wrote:
Enter should place the text : return places a carriage return.
agreed. completely.

~/archiben
...and it used to be this way.

How much you want to bet the unimportant/not needed votes are from Windows users who've never experienced the difference (the Windows keyboards don't even say "return" on the return key). It may be retro-typewriter style, but it is a useful distinction.
Balazs Simonyi
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Most of the people here said, it is important to distinguish the two keys, so tell us more why is it that so important. Tell us the PROS and CONS!
This was a designer decision to make the two key the same, but it can be revisioned! It's up to you
Any comments are welcome.

Balazs
Anonymous
Not applicable
Originally this was a difference between Macs and PCs. Since Macs have always distinguished between "return" and "enter" keys. I think it was around AC6 or 6.5 that the PCs caught up with this advantage on the Mac.

The important distinction is that "return" (the alpha keyboard "enter" key on PCs) should provide a carriage return/line feed when entering text, and the number pad "enter" key should accept/commit the input and exit the function. This is a standard distinction in databases where the "return" key produces line feeds within fields (of course tab moves from field to field) and the "enter" key saves/commits the record.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The main disadvantage to not having an enter key for me is that I must remove my hand from the keyboard to place the text. A lot of back and forth from the keyboard to the mouse.