Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Frustrating 3D navigation

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've always found moving in 3D in ArchiCAD to be a frustrating and inconsistent experience, in particular orbiting - though zooming is also not the best. It seems to happen when something is selected. ArchiCAD changes the point of rotation so that when you go to orbit, the model flies off into the distance. So you have to hit escape to deselect everything and make small orbit movements until the software realises where you want the rotation point to be. Or you have to resort to using the buttons at the bottom of the 3D window. That should not have to be done. It is extremely prohibitive to working in 3D. I find zooming is also difficult. It will inevitably jump too far into the zoom, so that when you try to get close to something you end up past it.

As a result the user has to abandon the idea of working in 3D and then navigate the different 2D views. The process of jumping into different windows - while advantageous at times - to accomplish a task really slows down the process. The brain has to switch modes each time it sees a new view or settings box. I have not found nearly as much difficulty working in SketchUp. Because of this I find modelling in ArchiCAD about 5 times slower than in SketchUp and generally just a more disjointed/ fragmented process.

AC15 has made some improvements into visual feedback in 3D so it seems Graphisoft is on the path toward improving the experience. It is critical to improve the 3D experience - constant visual feedback in perspective 3D is one of the reasons working in SketchUp feels more fluid and enjoyable. And the speed difference can be due to the brain remaining focused on the task at hand.

Summary - Please fix 3D navigation Thanks

I'd love to hear from the people that have voted this as not needed. Do you not have any issue at all in 3D or do you just not use 3D much?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matt,

I partially agree with you, orbiting and zooming in 3D can be a little clunky, but I don't think it's that bad. My favorite and preferred way of navigating in 3D is by using the "explore" button (or "little man button" as I call it) at the bottom of the 3D window. It is extremely easy to use, functions like most video game controls on a computer. You can speed up the motion using +/- keys, go vertically up/down (page up/down keys) and look all around. Definitely the best way to navigate in 3D IMO.
Anonymous
Not applicable
haha, thanks Steven. He really is a little man isn't he, waaay down there at the bottom of the window. How would anyone see him if it weren't for all those red arrows!

But yes I've spotted him, actually I sometimes use his brother, "the slightly bigger than little man" who resides on the 3D Visualization toolbar.

However, I only use him when necessary, which would be to frame a 3D once I'm in the zone. To have to use him full time to navigate is tantamount to playing Pac-Man on a Commodore 64. Hang on, scratch that, even 1982 had joysticks. I might as well send the little man a set of instructions through the command line!

I don't mean to make fun of you, especially when you (partially) agree with me and take the time to create a pdf of the little man. Thanks again

I think 3D navigation should be an extension of the body. It should be as fluid and as natural as possible. The computer and controls should disappear leaving only a stream of information flowing from screen to eyes to brain and back. The method you suggest involves too many keys and undoubtedly results in the user looking down to check keys or squinting to pin point the little man. Thus causing aforementioned stream to leak and spill all over the desk - what a mess!

You are no doubt master of your method now and can operate that way without thinking and by the sounds of it, so are other people. And that's fine, I'm not going to say you're wrong (though I hope my words will spark a thought that maybe you are).

I'm thinking these people abandoned the idea of navigating with the mouse wheel + shift when they discovered how clunky AC's response was. Perhaps they've been doing it their way since before mice had depressible scroll wheels and there is about as much chance of changing their minds or methods as there is of getting the little man to moonwalk!

Well I believe the little man can and should moonwalk, free him from his pixelated tron-like cage of stagnation. Give him wings, let him fly, watch him dance.