cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Image compression level setting at PDF export

Mike96
Advocate
As in the title, we should be able to control how much JPEG images get compressed when exporting a layout to PDF file.
To be clear: I mean compression, not downsampling. JPEG compression will lower the size of the output file if it contains raster images, but it doesn't change their resolution. Downsampling will lower their resolution. I only talk about compression here.
So when we put JPEG images to a layout and export the layout to PDF, we get medium-degree compression of those images, and we cannot change it. It's just not possible to output a high quality JPEG in a PDF sheet. Yes, we could import PNG/TIFF images with lossless compression and ArchiCAD will retain it but we don't have any control over lossy compression that JPEGs use.
My suggestion is to create a setting that would control the level of lossy compression - just like pretty much any other program for making design layouts and saving them to PDF.
ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10
2 REPLIES 2
Karl Ottenstein
Be sure to vote in your own poll 🙂
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for sharing this idea!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as Wish #13059). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future.

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT