BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Include traces in layout and print

Cdmeng
Contributor

It would be so amazing to be able to publish traces with the same color and transparency settings. It's invaluable for structural and design discussions/presentations, and for backgrounds.

3 REPLIES 3
Eduardo Rolon

Not needed, already can be done using GO's.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Cdmeng
Contributor

I did use the all-grey OL and made some of my own. I consider this a workaround as it is far less convenient and doesn't allow for fast changes of settings or true transparency (unless I'm missing something). My procedure is to make a saved view with the GO I want for the background and then put it that drawing underneath of another drawing on a layout.

Eduardo Rolon

That is the old way to do it and you should avoid it as much as possible.

The main objection to the trace option is that it duplicates an existing workflow which prior to GO's was done by defining two different Views with all their particular settings and placing one on top of the other in Layout.

If you already saved the view to use for the trace ref then the only step you are saving is placing that view behind the other one and you are introducing the possibility that somebody will turn the trace ref off and have an incomplete drawing since that is an easier mistake to make than selecting a placed view and deleting it (and then we will have a new wish to lock Trace/Refs so that they cannot be turned off).

Both of those possible mistakes are why the time spent organizing the model and defining GO's correctly to avoid placing views on top of each other is the correct workflow.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!