cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Offset Tool like Autocad

archislave
Enthusiast
This is the one command I miss most about Autocad. If you don't know what I am talking about then next time you are able to access autocad the select a line, polyline, or polygon and press offset. See how simple it is and can be repeated over and over!
Archislave

archicad 26.0 US, M2 Macbook Air
81 REPLIES 81
Dwight
Newcomer
This has been interesting for me, too.

Having grown up as a computer modeler without acquiring childhood AutoCAD scars, I always try to place model elements in my plan and not "draft."

I remember when the Offset command first appeared. It was cool.(ArchiCAD v.???} I don't use it a lot. However, I usually use it in situations where an identical repeating offset interval is not needed - I need to set each offset width independantly.

But, as for needing to do math in your head for successive repeating offsets, you simply reset the origin at each step. Yes. more work.
[Downcast eyes with forefinger on desk - emoticon symbol here - unavailable in current list due to subtle emotion conveyed.]

But how does AutoCAD cope with multiple offsets that are each different? And what does it do when you give it an impossible offset situation? How does it not get confused? By deleting the overshoot?

I'm starting to feel like I have too much "ArchiCAD Attitude." Way more than ususal. In trying to explain this offset issue to you, I am reminded of how much ArchiCAD action I've sublimated. Moves like spacebar magic wand, resetting the origin, option-clicking for tool switch and others are things that a practiced ArchiCAD user forgets to mention. I often close my toolbar and other palettes once I get a project going. It is all there on the plan to be option-clicked - you never need to click a tool bar once you are rolling...

Just out of curiosity: You've got 20 months of ArchiCAD experience and you haven't sublimated all of your AutoCAD equivalencies, yet? Why is this offset thing coming up just now?
Dwight Atkinson
Eduardo Rolon
As a 15 year user of AutoCAD I have that production wise the AC offset tool is the equivalent if not more productive than AutoCAD's.

AutoCAD's offset procedure is:
o (for offset) enter
type distance and press enter
select object
click on side to offset
repeat select and click as necessary
press enter to finish

but if you want to change the distance then you have to cancel the command and start over. AC's multiple offset has the ability to change the distance without canceling the command that is the difference.
Anyway, my original problem with AC's lack of the same offset command as AutoCAD was that I was trying to draw in AC as I used to do in AutoCAD and as time has gone by I have found that I don't need to use the offset command that much. AutoCAD's offset is great for drafting but I don't do that much drafting anymore. The commands "drag a copy", "drag multiple copy" and the "multiply" option have substituted my AutoCAD offset deficiency.
On another note, I have not seen among the students that I teach AC and know AutoCAD any problems "missing" with the other AutoCAD tools like fillet, trim and extend but I do have to devote a whole class as to why they don't need to use offset as much as they used to.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

archislave
Enthusiast
I too try to model as much as possible and not draft. The drafting in Archicad has always frustrated me and I would rather somehow use the Autocad way if I were doing pure drafting. After years of use it became engrained and as an objective person I think it is one of the reasons it stays on top - if you are doing 2d drafing.

Good thing we can get pretty far in modelling before needing to draft!
Archislave

archicad 26.0 US, M2 Macbook Air
Dwight
Newcomer
Eduardo: I'll hold him for you.
Dwight Atkinson
Eduardo Rolon
Dwight wrote:
Eduardo: I'll hold him for you.
ROFL

---

My wife teaches AutoCAD at the University since I get bored teaching that class. She uses AC at our office and I have not told her were she can find the offset tool and in the last 3 years she has not asked for it. I don't think she knows there is one.

ArchiSlave I will let you on a secret, if you give AC a chance you will find that you can draft faster with its tools than you ever did with AutoCAD. But for that you have to go cold turkey and switch to a Mac or uninstall AutoCAD from your machine. Just let go of your negative emotions and switch to the light side.

---
Dwight if this does not convince him I think I have a baseball bat with Autodesk's logo on it somewhere in the house…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
AutoCAD does have a variable offset - use "T" for "through" instead of giving a distance......

.....but I ain't never going back.
Eduardo Rolon
s2art wrote:
AutoCAD does have a variable offset - use "T" for "through" instead of giving a distance......
Dang, I forgot that option, which my R2002 has. This is what I get from having learned to use AutoCAD R11 in the good old DOS days (which I know didn't have that option). But then you have to keep typing the distance for every single offset so it behaves like AC's.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Dwight
Newcomer
ejrolon wrote:
Just let go of your negative emotions and switch to the light side.
and receive Graphisoft white cowboy hat with new slogan replacing outdated "It's Time," with the more adept phrase "Nobody is Going to Call YOU an Early Adopter."
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the lesson on the offset guys! Still comes in handy when drawing complex polylines or arcs that need to be concentric and not just copied. You use offset SOOOO much in acad that it is hard to break the habit. I am trying to do without it, but it is hard to go "cold turkey".
Dwight
Newcomer
Right. You have to "produce the thing" rather than just "draw the lines."
Dwight Atkinson