BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Offset: a simple line extra addition

Anonymous
Not applicable
I could use an "Offset" feature so many times. It simply allows a person to pick any amount of lines, walls, beams etc. and offsets a copy at a distance desired. The key to this feature is that it the offset amount is the same along the entire path. Please add this feature. It is a small thing but a HUGE need.
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there a reason that Drag > press option/alt to copy > type "r" > enter distance doesn't work for you?
Anonymous
Not applicable
That would work if I was only trying to copy a line. Let's say we have a square (made of lines) and we want another square inside of it only 2" smaller. Currently we have to select each line, drag it inward and press "r" for the distance of 2". It would be faster to have a tool that allows a person to select all FOUR lines of the square and copy them equidistantly inward 2" all at once. This is beneficial once we get more complicated structures like all the walls of a sprawling building.
Eduardo Rolon
Why don't you use offset and magic wand?
Procedure:
1)select tool
2)select offset from toolbar
3)press spacebar (magic wand) and click inside rectangle
4)r and distance
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
I may be outdated with my request already because I am working in Archicad 7. Does 8 have an offset command? Because version 7 does not.
Eduardo Rolon
I don't remember about AC7, but i think it had the option to do this. Look for this icon...
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
We need offset function which can work like it does in AutoCAD - I've grown accustomed to the way AC handles offset, but sometimes I really wish I had AutoCAD-like offset function!

For example, if I need to offset only one side of the non-rectangular slab...
MBPro Retina 2.7i7/16GB/SSD
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
Karl Ottenstein
MAK wrote:
I may be outdated with my request already because I am working in Archicad 7. Does 8 have an offset command? Because version 7 does not.
Offset has been there since before 7.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
MarinRacic wrote:
We need offset function which can work like it does in AutoCAD - I've grown accustomed to the way AC handles offset, but sometimes I really wish I had AutoCAD-like offset function!

For example, if I need to offset only one side of the non-rectangular slab...
... you activate the tool you want, click on offset, trace the side you want to offset, and specify the distance.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
MarinRacic
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I know, but tracing sometimes isn't so simple and if I magic-wand it I get the whole slab. Once I did a Disney store which didn't have a single straight shelf, all were radial + they were different at every level (3 levels)... Tracing was, let's say, a bit of a pain in the b...
MBPro Retina 2.7i7/16GB/SSD
AC ...20/21
www.3Dart.hr
Learn and get certified!