Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

!Restored: Door/window library parts

Jere
Expert
The library should be simplified and the objects more complex.

What I mean is this: instead of having so many different door types, such as a single wood door, a door with a sidelight, a door with two sidelights, a door with sidelight and transom, a door with transom, double doors, double doors with transom, etc, etc. there should be one library part for single doors and one for double doors. Within these library symbols should be the option for adding sidelights or transoms or multiple sidelights or multiple transoms, etc.

In essence, this one library symbol could be as simple as a single door or, by turning on different options, as complex as a storefront with multiple leafs, lights, panels, and transoms.

Same goes for the window tools.

Also, ganging between windows and doors should be better (although this may be redundant if the above tool is as flexible as I want it to be.)
ArchiCAD 26; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 3060
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would personaly welcome a fully configurable three-radius arch wall opening.
Haneef Tayob
Booster
I just wanted to re-ignite this topic. Doors and windows (like stairs) are an essential part to an architects work. I would like to see some major improvements to these tools

The end product is great, but I think that even by interviewing architects to see how the process of choosing, editing and changing windows will reveal how inadequate the current tools are. (Ever tried changing from rectangular to arched openings - it's not very design friendly)

If the next version of AC just has improvements in this sector, I would be satisfied.
Haneef Tayob
Aziz Tayob Architects
AC23 INT rel 3003, OS X 10.14.6 iMac 3.3ghz i5 dual monitor, 24GB RAM
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's really annoying when I change to a different window or door object and loose all the custom settings which are actually standard across all the objects.
dmn wrote:
...the custom settings which are actually standard across all the objects.
If this is the case, simply eyedropper (Alt+Click) the original opening, open the tool dialog, and before clicking on anything, syringe (Alt+Ctrl+Click) the icon of the desired replacement opening -- this transfers all identical parameters to the new part.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Matthew wrote:
I would like a more hierarchical approach where the components are interchangeable (within reason and the capabilities of the individual programmers) such that within a door assembly the user can specify a jamb, door leaf, hardware, casings, etc. from any source and not be limited to those provided by GS for their doors or CADimage for theirs and so on. Not only is there too much duplication of effort, but those efforts are going to the creation of monstrously complex and fragile assembly/component hybrids.
After all these years, the door and window parts have seen very little improvement. Matthew's idea first stated in 2004, I believe, is a great one that if implemented six years ago would have saved us all countless hours.

PLEASE GS, quit putting lipstick on the pigs and develop some state-of-the-art, powerful door and window tools.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree, they should license the C4D Library "iOpening".