Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

open another instance of ArchiCAD just from the finder....

dhaval7shah
Newcomer
In Mac, why are we not able to open another instance of ArchiCAD directly by clicking a file from finder ? This interface is very important and badly required.
Dhaval Shah
Upto AC 22
iMacs and MacBookPros: Mac OS X (10.6 to 10.12, Intel core 2 Quad to i5, i7, 8 GB to 16GB)
Win 10, AMD Opteron 6-Core x 2, 16GB, FirePro W4100 2GB
& ThinkPad E550
& i7, 8GB
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I agree. Archicad always wants to close the session you're working in.

Also - why can't we open 'recently opened files' in a new session?

And finally - I know it may seem trivial - but I would like 'Open another session' to be on the drop-down file menu, because 9 times out of 10, I forget to check the tick box.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
dhaval7shah wrote:
In Mac, why are we not able to open another instance of ArchiCAD directly by clicking a file from finder ? This interface is very important and badly required.
The model for the Mac OS is: single application, multiple documents. For example, if I have a project open in XCode and open a second project, it simply opens the second project in the active instance (so 2 projects are open) rather than starting another instance of XCode.

Virtually all document-centric applications work this way on the Mac, but ArchiCAD doesn't. It only supports a single open project. Opening another instance is a work-around, but not desirable. I would rather vote for the ability to open more than one project at a time.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Ralph wrote:
/..I would rather vote for the ability to open more than one project at a time.
This is a much more sensible suggestion and I 2nd it Cheers Ralph
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
dhaval7shah
Newcomer
Ralph wrote:
dhaval7shah wrote:
The model for the Mac OS is: single application, multiple documents. For example, if I have a project open in XCode and open a second project, it simply opens the second project in the active instance (so 2 projects are open) rather than starting another instance of XCode.

Virtually all document-centric applications work this way on the Mac, but ArchiCAD doesn't. It only supports a single open project. Opening another instance is a work-around, but not desirable. I would rather vote for the ability to open more than one project at a time.
Technically whatever you say using system level language, we should be able to open the another ArchiCAD just from the finder also, by clicking on the file.

(I guess ArchiCAD is programmed in such a way that separate instance is essential for every file, as it loads heavy environment like libraries etc.)

We want the same 'file opening interface' as it has for Winodws. That's the simple wish. Though we are paying heavily on the softwares, they seem not serious about such interface
Dhaval Shah
Upto AC 22
iMacs and MacBookPros: Mac OS X (10.6 to 10.12, Intel core 2 Quad to i5, i7, 8 GB to 16GB)
& ThinkPad E550
& i7, 8GB
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
dhaval7shah wrote:
Technically whatever you say using system level language, we should be able to open the another ArchiCAD just from the finder also, by clicking on the file.
(I guess ArchiCAD is programmed in such a way that separate instance is essential for every file, as it loads heavy environment like libraries etc.)
We want the same 'file opening interface' as it has for Winodws. That's the simple wish. Though we are paying heavily on the softwares, they seem not serious about such interface
I agree that opening a project should be simpler, but I disagree that the entire OS model should be changed to suit one application. The bottom line is that launching multiple instances of the same application is a poor solution on the Mac. It isn't difficult to design a good interface for multiple open projects.

Apple has a clear philosophy for the user interface - an application is used to carry out a particular type of task, and documents are created within that application. The Mac environment is then able to provide distinct methods for switching between applications as opposed to switching between the documents produced with the active application. Consider the way Exposé can clearly distinguish between all open windows as opposed to the document windows within a specific application.

ArchiCAD ignores this methodology, and it feels awkward as a result, e.g. to switch projects, you have to switch applications. We need changes that makes ArchiCAD a better fit with the Mac OS. Otherwise we risk making ArchiCAD look cheap and badly designed.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
dhaval7shah
Newcomer
Let's hope that GraphiSoft becomes aggressive to update this interface.
Dhaval Shah
Upto AC 22
& ThinkPad E550
& i7, 8GB