cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

VRAY for archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello,
is there a free VRAY plug in for archicad 13+15?

thanks a lot!
25 REPLIES 25
Christophe wrote:
Steve wrote:
V-Ray for ArchiCAD would be great.

I think Revit with V-Ray vs. ArchiCAD with CineRender is going to be an interesting comparison over the next year or so.
It does not deals with the same aim
Archicad include CineRender to give a way of create simple best picture than Archicad Render
If you want to compare you might compare OctaneRender/Archicad to Vray/Revit

That's not a fair comparison either.

OctaneRender is a GPU renderer that requires a powerful video card or high end graphics card, that most users don't necessarily have while Vray does not since it can render with the CPU on its own.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Christophe wrote:
Steve wrote:

I think Revit with V-Ray vs. ArchiCAD with CineRender is going to be an interesting comparison over the next year or so.
Archicad include CineRender to give a way of create simple best picture than Archicad Render
I have both, Octane and Vray on another 3D software, and Vray RT GPU is way faster than Octane in many situations, and for other features Vray is way ahead of anything else in the market. About post, for Vray you need only a simple click on a Nick Collection Filter for Photoshop, but for Octane you have to spend too many hours in Photoshop for your final render. I really wish ArchiCAD had a port for Vray.
Anonymous
Not applicable
so far Revit+Vray is winning, and Revit is not a good software but Vray is
BERSEKAEL wrote:

I have both, Octane and Vray on another 3D software, and Vray RT GPU is way faster than Octane in many situations, and for other features Vray is way ahead of anything else in the market. About post, for Vray you need only a simple click on a Nick Collection Filter for Photoshop, but for Octane you have to spend too many hours in Photoshop for your final render. I really wish ArchiCAD had a port for Vray.

I disagree on that point.

Having used both extensively, I have to state that Corona is far superior to Vray in many respects.
It terms of its simplicity of use, it's speed in many situations, it's post-processing and lens-effects features.

Which would be why you're seeing a lot of Vray users jumping ship and switching to Corona.

Of course it hardly matters now since Chaosgroup (the makers of Vray) bought out the company that makes Corona (even though they're still producing both as separate products).

Also, if you're not aware, the makers of Corona are actually working on a port or a bridge for ArchiCAD specifically, to their render engine and they even showed off a working demo at a recent user conference complete with a working RT interactive renderer and window porting directly from ArchiCAD's 3D window.

So before long we will have an ArchiCAD-Corona combination to match up to Revit-Vray.

They (currently) have no plans to work on a Revit plugin or port any time soon.
And all of this is why we need a Benchmark file.

Lumion 9 Pro LiveSynk add-on for ArchiCAD 22 I have installed with the Corona add-on for ArchiCAD, Maxwell Render add-on is for an older version of ArchiCAD. I never used it anyway. Just import .3ds model made with ArchiCAD. I also have a demo for Art*Lantis 2019 installed. Just finished testing it.

Lumion 9 Pro is perhaps 50 times faster than faster that Art*Lantis 2019. And the quality is the comparable if not equal, but much, much easier to achieve with Lumion. No contest there as far as I am concerned.

Corona for ArchiCAD is better than CineRender perhaps, but not anything radically better. It all depends on how well you know how to use one or the other. Corona is faster, and has more potential to deliver better quality images. But also more difficult to get good results that Lumion which could not be easier.

I am not ready to trade in my Maxell Studio/Render because I can still make better quality images with it and it is actually pretty fast with my GPU NVIDIA P5000 Cuda Cores. Besides, the functionality of Maxwell Studio is not something you can do with Corona, Lumion, CineRender, or Art*Lantis or even ArchiCAD. You can tweak the geometry in Maxwell Studio to make edges sharper or rounder -- things like that.

Top quality rendering is still all about the materials you use. I like Maxwell Studio best for doing that.

We need a Benchmark ArchiCAD model to make better comparisons for quality and speed.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Steve wrote:

Corona for ArchiCAD is better than CineRender perhaps, but not anything radically better. It all depends on how well you know how to use one or the other. Corona is faster, and has more potential to deliver better quality images. But also more difficult to get good results that Lumion which could not be easier.

So you're comparing Corona for ArchiCAD - which is still an Alpha version, barely even in the second release - to Lumion 9 - a COMPLETE version software which is 9 versions in,........and you think this comparison makes sense?

In fact I would even argue that your comparison of Lumion 9 with ANY of the other renderers there (with perhaps the exception of Maxwell's GPU mode) makes ZERO sense to me since it's a GPU renderer that necessitates the user having a powerful graphics card while the rest are pretty much ALL CPU renderers and work with vastly different algorithms from GPU renderers.

I'm not exactly sure what you hope to glean or learn from such a comparison (in either of the cases) or such comparisons.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I ocassionally send messages to Chaos, as I'm a VRay for Rhino user, and user the node from the Rhino plugin on Blender ( yes, if you own any nodes, you can use it on Blender, including nodes which come with other software ), and I believe they don't think it is worth the port. They simply reply it is not under development.

A move from Graphisoft to show interest would help, Corona has a plugin under development, which I am loving, but is also is a CPU based engine, unlike VRay, which is GPU powered. TO be honest, I don't believe high polygon objects should be within the BIM file, so it's not ideal for photorealistic renders. Some operations are not things I would like to do directly in my BIM file. In my workflow, I go to Rhino for that, but to be honest, texturing in Rhino is a cumbersome activity. I would rather have Archicad have a Blender export. It is open source, it now has Real Time rendering with Eevee, and is supported by VRay. But bringing texturing and lighting information from Archicad to any other software is a serious pain.
The bar gets higher and higher all the time --
Check out V-Ray Next yet?

https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/how-easy-is-it-to-render-on-the-v-ray-cloud-tiltpixel-puts-it-to-the...
https://www.chaosgroup.com/vray/rhino#overview

At some point, V-Ray Next will be available for more than just 3ds max. I would sure like to see ArchiCAD on this list.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Christophe wrote:
Steve wrote:

I have been using Maxwell Render/Studio since before version 1 on models I make with ArchiCAD. I export the model as .3ds, apply the materials and lighting in Studio, and Render. I didn't have much use for the ArchiCAD/Maxwell plug-in because I like to make my materials in Maxwell Studio, and also because of how I can tweak the geometry of the ArchiCAD model a bit. Also, for model parts in the scene that are not part of the building, I like to add that contend with Maxwell also. Maxwell is not only a Rendering Engine. Maxwell Studio is a very important part of it too.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Steve, i'd like to see an example of a render from maxwell Studio if your able to post?
I remember buying a very early version many years ago (first version i think) where you could tweak the lights as it rendered out. It did have excessive noise issues back, but i'm sure that's a thing of the past.
I do remember how realistic it did look...