BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Contour lines in Window Openings

Anonymous
Not applicable
I suspect I'm missing something simple, but am finding when I insert a window in a wall, I have a choice of :

a) setting the wall contours to 0 (none), so that I don't see the outline of the wall below the sill, but then I don't get the end lines of wall at the jambs., or

b) setting the wall contours to 1, so that now I see the end lines of the wall at the jambs, but I also get the outline of the wall below the sill.

The wall contour line setting under 'Floor Plan Representation' seems to work indepently of the first parameter, but doesn't affect the wall ends at the jambs.

How can I get both the wall ends and no contour lines below the cill?

(Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I do find the Search facility less than useful)

KEITH

Archicad 10 on MAC OSX
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Keith Jaw,

Probrably it's nothing to do with the wall setting, it's to do with the window setting, you may have to change the colour of the sill to " white", so, it's appear no lines on the floor plan.

hope this is one of the right answer, ha ha

Djordje
Ace
Keith,

Which library and which build?

Screen shot?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Barry Kelly
Keith wrote:
I suspect I'm missing something simple, but am finding when I insert a window in a wall, I have a choice of :

a) setting the wall contours to 0 (none), so that I don't see the outline of the wall below the sill, but then I don't get the end lines of wall at the jambs., or

b) setting the wall contours to 1, so that now I see the end lines of the wall at the jambs, but I also get the outline of the wall below the sill.

The wall contour line setting under 'Floor Plan Representation' seems to work indepently of the first parameter, but doesn't affect the wall ends at the jambs.

How can I get both the wall ends and no contour lines below the cill?

(Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I do find the Search facility less than useful)

KEITH

Archicad 10 on MAC OSX

You actually have a choice of 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4.
0 = Nothing.
1 = side lines and sill lines - sill lines only if the opening base is above the base of the wall.
2 = side lines only - no sill regardless of the height of the opening.
3 = no side lines and sill lines - sill lines only if the opening base is above the base of the wall.
4 = no side lines and sill lines - no sill regardless of the height of the opening.

This is a new parameter for windows and doors in version 10.
In previous version it was controlled by the "Contours" icon in the "Floor Plan" section of the window parameters.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry -

No. 2 did the trick - you obviously need to know the code!

Djorde - It's a drawing that has 'done the rounds' in our office and contains elements from 70, 8, 8.1 and 10! Yes - I know this should have been cleaned up at each conversion, but no-one seems to have known how to do it. The window in question was from the 70 Library.

I've tried to attach a screen shot in the past. The Mac makes a TIFF file, but ArchiCAD-Talk won't accept a TIFF. How do you get over that? Also I'd welcome a brief explanation of how you do the Quote thing.

KEITH
Stress Co_
Advisor
Keith wrote:
I've tried to attach a screen shot in the past. The Mac makes a TIFF file, but ArchiCAD-Talk won't accept a TIFF. How do you get over that? Also I'd welcome a brief explanation of how you do the Quote thing.
I assume your using "Grab" to get your screen shot? Open the tiff in "Preview". Choose File> Save As .... Pick a format.

You can save a step by using Mac keyboard shotcuts. See attached. These shots are saved as PNG files... which do not have to be converted.

To use "quote" ..... click the "quote button, at the far right side of the post. (on the posted: date line)
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
To use "quote" ..... click the "quote button, at the far right side of the post. (on the posted: date line)
As you can see, got the quotes sorted.

Still got a problem with Screenshots. Preview doesn't offer me any alternative formats in 'Save As'. If I just overwrite the extension with .JPG, I get an error message telling me that the required file type is .TIFF. The shortcut keys save as .PDF format - which isn't very user friendly. My MAC help screen actually says that pictures will be saved as PDF's - is there an option somewhere to change this to PNG?
Stress Co_
Advisor
Sorry, your not using OS 10.4, right?

The keyboard short cuts will save as PDF. Open them in Preview, Then go File> Export... choose the file type.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It's been a while since I've captured screenshots on a Mac, but can't you change the format it captures to? I am sure I saw it somewhere in the OS.

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
... but can't you change the format it captures to? I am sure I saw it somewhere in the OS.
not directly from the UI - or if you can i've never found it!

you can use system hacks like 'cocktail' to change the default format, or simply File>Export from 'preview' after you've opened it.

alternatively, investigate screen capture tools such as 'Snapz Pro X' from ambrosia software if you are likely to do a lot of it.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!