BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom Profile

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any suggestions as to how I could edit the number of nodes created from a custom profile that has multiple curves. The profile was originally saved with arcs, howver when saved and subsequently re-opened there are mulitple nodes forming the arcs which then translate to extra linework in elevation. Is there a setting that I'm missing?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't understand how arcs turned into segments, but you can get them back to arcs by editing the fills in the profile editor.
Karl Ottenstein
If any other fills touch your fill that has a curved edge, you will get a hotspot (node) at each intersection.

If the fill has nothing touching it, the arc should not have any of the extra nodes you describe. Perhaps you can post a screenshot?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
I think he is referring to the arcs of the profile being converted to lines in the section/elevation window.

David
Custom-Profile-curve.gif
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks all in advance for attempting to help with the resolution of this issue. I have attached a graphic to help explain. I have created a custom profile in this case eave profile foam trim that has been applied through the wall tool. When a change is needed to be made to the profile, I would access the profile through the capture profile command. Then make the adjustment and apply to selection. Could the process be the problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the graphic.
custom profile issue.jpg
NandoMogollon
Advocate
Yes, when you capture the Profile of a wall/beam/column It will "simplify" the curves by splitting the arcs into straight lines. The method it will use for the calculation is the one in your magic wand settings.

If you simply duplicate the profile or crate a new one you will not have that problem.

Hope this helps
Nando Mogollon
Director @ BuilDigital
nando@buildigital.com.au
Using, Archicad Latest AU and INT. Revit Latest (have to keep comparing notes)
More and more... IFC.js, IFCOpenShell
All things Solibri and BIMCollab
Anonymous
Not applicable
eminem wrote:
When a change is needed to be made to the profile, I would access the profile through the capture profile command. Then make the adjustment and apply to selection. Could the process be the problem?
eminem wrote:
The original profile was created with arcs, saved and applied to the location as a wall tool. Once the model is recaptured to make alterations or the model refreshed, segments replace the original which then translate to linework as presented in elevation.
Don't recapture the profile to edit it. The arcs will get simplified into segments in the profile manager as you have seen.

The easiest way to manage profiles is to open the profile manager, select the profile from the list, and modify the original profile there. When you have finished making the changes, press the 'Store Profile' button. Go back to the floor plan and all elements with this profile will automatically update.

The profile will still be segmented in elev/section but it won't produce the extra lines you refer to, and also if you go back to the profile manager, the arcs should still be smooth and won't need re-editing again.

Hope that helps!
It makes no difference for me. I have tried capturing the profile, drawing the profile in floor plan, copy and paste it into the profile manager, and drawing a new profile in the manager. I have set the magic wand settings to as small as they will go ( 3/64", 360, 25/64" ) and get the same result.

I am trying to make a simple 1/2" dia. piece of rebar. I can't get is smooth.
not round.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
I am trying to make a simple 1/2" dia. piece of rebar. I can't get is smooth.
...but rebar isn't smooth, though the rendering algorithms will make it appear that way. The only place the faceting will show is in very large scale sections. Is this really a problem?
Learn and get certified!