BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

DWG file doesn't render

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I am having some problems with converting a 2D dwg file into a gdl object. I need to show a 2D site map together with my 3D project in the final rendering, but it doesn't seem to work. This is what I am currently doing:

1. File > Libraries and Objects > Open Object menu command and open the DWG file.
2. File > Save as... and save the object in the embedded library of the project.
3. Place the new object in the right location.

I have also tried merging the file through File special > Merge.

Also tried attaching the dwg as an xref, selecting the xref and saving that as an object.

In all of the above cases when I open the Perspective View window the map is there with all the right pens and looks great, but when I actually render a view the map doesn't render with the rest of the scene.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just impossible? Please help, it is for my dissertation and I would like this to be perfect.

I have attached the dwg file that I am trying to work with.

Thanks

Eliza
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Eliza,

The lines etc imported from the dwg will not render as they are not a surface or solid, you will have to overlay a saved view (the linework) over the rendered image to get both the rendering and linework.

Regards,
Scott
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You could try using sketch render engine to show the linework and overlay the image in photoshop.

Or create a 3d document view of what you are trying to render and set that up as you would do with elevations and sections. Just go to your 3d view that you are trying to render and right click and choose create 3d document.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both for your replies. I didn't even think about using the 3D views. Much appreciated, you saved me.

Thanks again and I hope you both have a great day!

Regards
Eliza
Eduardo Rolon
You can also try to convert the DWG lines to Morphs which will show in the 3D window. Beware that they don't slow your computer down.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!