Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Horizontal Railing Spacing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I correct that the new railing tool (AC 21) does not allow you to have constant horizontal railing spacing, and that you have to do it manually?
15 REPLIES 15
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Your question is pretty short so I am not exactly sure what you are asking but I will try to answer to what I think the question is.
If you activate the Balusters page of the Dialog, then on the right side, in the Baluster Pattern Settings panel you can choose the "Fixed Pattern Length" option for pattern distribution. Then in the Baluster Settings panel you can set the distance between the Balusters in the "Distance From Previous" field.
Railing-FixedBalusterDistance.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a railing with horizontal members, I clicked the '+' sign to add the horizontal members individually and calculated the desired spacing. That's how I got the railing shown here. I have tinkered with the Baluster Pattern Distribution setting to give me a constant spacing, but it does not seem to work. The Baluster Pattern Distribution setting seems to work only for the vertical pickets.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Yes, OK, so I did misunderstand what "horizontal railing spacing" means.
No, you cannot set a fix distance between horizontal Rails.
What I would do is I would use the "Profiled Rail 21" Rail GDL Object, which can use Profiles created in the Profile Manager.
Then in the Profile Manager I would draw the number of Rail profiles at the desired spacing and use that.
Railing-FixedRailDistance.png

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'd hoped this was not the case but I came to the same solution as you Laszlo.
Surely there should be the option of horizontal balusters that behave the same as the vertical balusters, the current workflow is very inefficient.
JohnJay
Expert
ponaelius wrote:
I'd hoped this was not the case but I came to the same solution as you Laszlo.
Surely there should be the option of horizontal balusters that behave the same as the vertical balusters, the current workflow is very inefficient.
Can only agree this is a major oversight. I've been messing for the last couple of hours thinking I must be missing something obvious only to come and read this.

The 'balusters' options support making whole panels by specifying size and spacing. It seems such a logical thing to have the same option available for the rails?

Even the old fence object made this really easy...
AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
runxel
Legend
True, it seems like a major oversight.
On the other hand railings like these are forbidden basically everywhere (since childs would be motivated to step on them like a ladder).
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
horiziontal railings look great but children can climb on it and fall down on the other side and if there are used small diameter Niro Material - then they are bent forever - what does not look good from then on. We never used it for that reasons..
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
JohnJay
Expert
I was trying to build fencing panels, either with no gap or with a small gap so no danger. Something like this:

AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
Brett Brown
Advocate
I'm sorry but seems Graphisoft yet again miss the boat on the basics, and another one that comes up regularly, multileader labels. Just some of the little basic improvements that wouldn't take much time to add and would save us hours in frustration.
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,