BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Scale Sensitivity of Text, Dimensions and Markers

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I change scale from 1/4" to 1/16" the dimensions, text, and the markers read big. How do I make them read at the proper size? I have checked previous postings but could not seem to find the response I am looking for. Thanks.

Big.png
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The units for Dimension Text are paper-based so they change when you change the scale.
What you can do is you can place the View as a Drawing on a Layout, and then you can resize that Drawing on the Layouts, and it will then resize the text as well.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Eduardo Rolon
Just as a reference.
If your text point size is correct (6.5 pts as a minimum) then Lazlo's answer will "fix" your problem but when you print then your texts will be 1/4 the size which will make them unreadable. This is not the correct procedure for architectural drawings.
The correct way is to have 2 dimension and text layers sets one for 1/16" and 1/4" and you always dimension the smallest scale drawing first.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Eduardo, Lazlo, thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I correct to conclude then that elevation and section markers are not scale sensitive and have to be manually increased or enlarged based on the drawing scale?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think so.
In the Marker panel of the Section/Elevation Settings Dialog you define the Marker Head size in millimeters so you are specifying paper size, not model size.

Hi, Eduardo Rolon. It is 7 years past and I have the same question(ISSUE). In addition, I reject to accept these 2 answers. They are not what the BIM system supposed to be. Duplicate dimensions- can not be a good solution maybe only if you have small drawings. But with a large project, you will be lost in such details. Another solution advised to scale the view is also not appropriate for architectural drawing vision (Sorry, BUT proportions matter!). Is it any other solution? Thanks 😃 

If these solutions are not acceptable to you then you should make a wish, and we can submit it to Graphisoft for consideration.

If you do make a wish, please post its link in this thread.

AFAIK no.  Ive have been proposing a new dimension tool that would solve these kind of things. A tool that dimensions what it sees based on certain criteria and rules and is scale dependent instead of you clicking on objects. You still have to place the tool in its proper place (like section markers), but once is done you could change/edit/erase/add to the model however you want and you will always be presented with a stable dimension string.   Its like a combination of the automatic dimensioning (which works well in some cases) and the section tool.

Anyway, hope they solve this one eay

Learn and get certified!