cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Design forum

Scrollwork method

Josh Verran
Expert

Any suggestions on how to achieve something similar to the image below.
I'm thinking the method would be to create one segment as a curtain wall panel then repeat using curtain wall.

But haven't done before and be interested to see what other users have done.

Scrollwork.jpg

ARCHICAD 18-25 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools - CI Extension by Central Innovation | Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-6700K @4.00GHZ | 32Gb RAM | Dual Samsung S27F350 1920x1080 | Nvidia Quadro P2200 5Gb
14 REPLIES 14

I use my own custom objects for things like that. I like my control lol. 

I'm curious too as I have never used the curtain wall.

Given my knowledge now I would use my wall coverings and a little gdl to do exactly what you see.

Lingwisyer
Legend

Are you required to provide drawings to produce this scrollwork? If not, could you just use a texture? This being even more viable in 25 given that you can show actual textures in elevation and section?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000
Self-taught, bend it till it breaks.
Win10 | E5620 x 2 | 24GB | K2200 RIP PSU
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

ryejuan
Advisor

i think you can create a complex profile for curtain wall then replace the panel of that curtain wall into that complex profile. 🤔

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

Lingwisyer
Legend

Unless they have fixed it, the issue with Custom CW Panels is that they do not trim to the boundary...

AC22-23 AUS 7000

True, thats why I scripted a panel that gets its content from a complex profile, but would get trimmed.

Mostly AC 26 on Mac | Author of SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»

Rajesh Patil
Advocate

If you looking for just for the presentation then you may try this exercise shown in my you tube video. https://youtu.be/6048x8LpFcM

Not suitable for any detailing or such design needs.

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-26 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB

Djordje
Mentor

Curtain wall can work for repeated pattern. This also can be done with railing.

You should go crazy and model everything... like Vinoth did here... all in all, over 9 million polygons are already in the model, and the work is ongoing...

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

how's his computer handling it?

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards

The machine is sometimes sweating...

Objective? What is the objective of the architectural engineering consultant, with supervision, on a project? 😄

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

4dProof
Expert

my first impression: model one segment of the panel with a slab, save the slab as a rail panel, model the full width/length with the railing tool

second thought: photoshop a png with transparent background, model as a morph with a surface using the png (downside would be it would need to be 0" thick)

third option would be to model the repeating panel with a slab as suggested above, save as an object, and add a ROTx 90 line at the front of the 3d script and replace the 2d script with PROJECT2 3,270,2; then place and copy the pattern around

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert

This is perfect other than the only thing I would say is that if you save the object in asymmetric view correctly the 2D will be what you want without a rotate command

David Collins
Enthusiast

It seems like both the railing and the curtainwall solutions assume the basic fretwork modules will fit perfectly in between the columns. Easier I think to just do it all with morphs. Copy the basic module, Union them into one morph and trim to fit.

But really, this kind of thing just cries out for loopy GDL with a stretchy 2d symbol. Is Param-O up to it yet?

David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz 32 Gb RAM

GeForce RTX 3070
AC 26.0 (3010 INT FULL)

Lingwisyer
Legend

Custom panels not cropping might not be an issue here, as from the photo, if it is not just and example, there are walls abutting both sides of scrollwork, so you could just align the pattern to the outside corner and have the excess hidden by the walls.

AC22-23 AUS 7000

Eugene
Participant

I have done this by drawing a complex profile for the full span between posts, then placing it as a ~25mm long beam (i.e. perpendicular to the direction you would typically draw a beam). If you only have a couple of bay sizes I have found it manageable.

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!