BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

WC object.

JGoode
Advocate
I am trying to create a WC object (or a few of them). I cannot figure out the best way to create it. The main issue is the actual bowl of the WC. Is using SEO's the way to go? Due to the curves of the WC it makes it tricky? What is the best way of creating this object? Complete GDL, model using morphs/slabs/etc? Any guidance is appreciated. It doesn't need to be parametric it just needs to look better than average and have a relatively low polycount. Thanks very much.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
15 REPLIES 15
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You might be able to find some 3D models online that you can convert to morph and then object.

A series of morphs that you merge into one at the end would probably be the easiest way to model. In so far as modelling a complex shape is easy.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
The seo is the worst decision - performance wise.
The cutpoly etc is far better, but direct modeling is the fastest.
I made a test doing this: https://bimobject.com/en-us/komandor/product/komandorunipanels
The perforated panels when doing the perforation with SEO were unusable...cutpoly better, but the holes made in prism definition were the fastest.

Best Regards,
Piotr
JGoode
Advocate
Piotr wrote:
The seo is the worst decision - performance wise.
The cutpoly etc is far better, but direct modeling is the fastest.
I made a test doing this: https://bimobject.com/en-us/komandor/product/komandorunipanels
The perforated panels when doing the perforation with SEO were unusable...cutpoly better, but the holes made in prism definition were the fastest.

Best Regards,
Piotr
I shall look into working with 'cutpoly'. What is the best way to create curved surfaces, obviously WC's are not square. ?
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
You can save the morph to gdl.
The object will be bigger but performing better than the morph itself.

If You wish to have a small object with nurbs inside to get either slow or fast object in one - the fastest way is to import the nurbs from Rhino. (AC>=20)

Best Regards,
Piotr
JGoode
Advocate
Piotr wrote:
You can save the morph to gdl.
The object will be bigger but performing better than the morph itself.

If You wish to have a small object with nurbs inside to get either slow or fast object in one - the fastest way is to import the nurbs from Rhino. (AC>=20)

Best Regards,
Piotr
Thanks for the help. The main issue I am having is actually modelling the object with accurate curves. The morph tool is clearly the best option for modelling, but it seems as though there is no easy way to create accurate curves that aren't using the revolve tool. The revolve tool doesn't give me what I want so I can't use it.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
If You are familiar with Rhino - You can do this by using the nubs based on splines - they will go to AC GDL script (AC>=20) with the ability to get the accuracy slider as well.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Barry Kelly
It just depends how accurate you want to be.
The attached image is just MULed cones, cylinders and prisms.
If you want something a little more realistic then yes MORPHs are the way to go.
Or go to 3D Warehouse or other model sites and import one of those.
You can even find some in native Archicad GDL objects.

https://specify.caroma.com.au/bim-library-landing/archicad

Or model in other software that is better at doing this type of thing and import them in.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
JGoode
Advocate
Barry wrote:
It just depends how accurate you want to be.
The attached image is just MULed cones, cylinders and prisms.
If you want something a little more realistic then yes MORPHs are the way to go.
Or go to 3D Warehouse or other model sites and import one of those.
You can even find some in native Archicad GDL objects.

https://specify.caroma.com.au/bim-library-landing/archicad

Or model in other software that is better at doing this type of thing and import them in.

Barry.
This is a basin that i'm currently working on. Same thing applies, I can't work out the correct method of using the morph tool to produce the best results.
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
Barry Kelly
That looks pretty good to me.
The morph tool is not that easy to use for things like this.
If symmetrical I often model half, mirror a copy and combine.

More often than not I find a 3D model, import it and turn it into a morph, clean it up if necessary then save as an object.

The Caroma objects are quite good and in fact they have used a lot of REVOLVE commands from memory.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!