Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

CineRender Displacement

Anonymous
Not applicable
I added a simple displacement map to a standing seam roof surface. The surface is composed of linear lines, yet the render displaces the center of the maps. As you can see, in the render, it appears like 'spikes'. I can not figure out what setting I need to alter. or perhaps it's the map? I would appreciate the help. Thank you - Jakub Galczynski
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Her are the Displacement Surface Settings, regrading my standing seam. - Jakub Galczynski
displace02.png
alemanda
Advocate
Probably you have to increase the subdivision level....and probably you get longer render times...
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all you need to know how displacement mapping works. you'll find an explanation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_mapping

I attached an example of a (divided) mesh and the results. Increasing the amount of sub-Polygons will increase render-time but not really quality.
In my opinion ArchiCAD isn't the best tool for displacements.
Anonymous
Not applicable
and the result:
render.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bernhard and Alemanda, Thank you! I was changing the subdivision level, but not to the extent I needed. I now understand the terminology, have made changes to the subdivision, and am getting good results. - Jakub
BBinder wrote:
and the result:
Thanks for the instructions. I like it.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying too to make custom displacement maps, to use my preferred texture. And I can't understand why I get defects evidenced in the attachment.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This are the texture settings
Schermata 2015-01-22 alle 10.54.45.png
Anonymous
Not applicable
And this is the texture displacement map that I made by me with Photoline. Map is exactly as big as the texture image, I made it with texture image in behind.