Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How to Label Hotlink elements?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I came across a documentation problem today. On a multi-story apartment building, we use a bathroom module to be place on the apartments throughout the building. We use to have objects as Tags and manually ID everything (wall finishes, Fixtures, etc) so it was no problem. Now we are trying to move everything to Labels, and automatically TAG everything. The problem when you place the module on the actual apartment, all of the elements are locked, so the option of having show labels are disabled.
Is there any way to keep the Label option unlocked on the elements?
What would be the work around? I did not want to hotlink the full floor back onto the Bathroom file...
8 REPLIES 8
Wokka
Contributor
Bernardo,
Having similar issue to yours above and found your note here. Did you ever get any answers or find a good workaround?
Trying to label in section, walls from various hot linked files.

Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Anonymous
Not applicable
I too would love a solution to this.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I take it labeling the in the module file is not an option?

Cheers,
Link.
Wokka
Contributor
The interesting thing is, the label tool 'ID' does correctly label from the hotlink into the main file. It labels the master ID then the global id. Perfect! Why can't the window/door dimension marker do the same???
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T
http://www.3de.com.au
Windows 11 Pro 64bit
ArchiCad 4.55>27 AUS
Lumion 12.5/2023
D5 Render
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, because that feature (Master ID for Hotlinked Modules) has been implemented a few releases ago.
It is only the question of whether it is implemented or not. Of course I can imagine the amount of time required to implement a feature/complexity of the task of achieving implementation also plays a role.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
I would like to say that I think the problem relies in the current -and old- implementation of the linking of the label tool to elements, which has to be rewritten to accommodate for new standards.

Labels shouldn't be a property. They should be independent and pick up values from the element they point to. Building elements inside hotlinked modules can't be labeled because labels are a property, and hotlinked elements can't be modified, so please don't make a workaround checkbox for hotlinked modules so labels can be activated... it's not the solution.

I bring this up because of the new IFC tags, properties and information capabilities. Having hundreds of parameters available to list for each element, it still amazes me that you can only have one label per element per viewtype, so you can label walls in floor plan... but only once (unless I'm missing something new), and then once in an elevation, and then once in a section... this means that you cannot have two or more labels in separate layers to show a floor plan with walls' composites and then a new view of the same floorplan with different layer combo to show labels with walls' fire rating for example. You would need to show every bit of information you want to display in the same label. I don't think this works anymore.

Because of the yearly release cycle and how the flagship project of every version is used to test new features (and that usually by the time the new AC version comes out that project has been built), I would like to assume that the next AC(19) version is already being tested and even the next one's (AC20) roadmap has been -feature wise- laid out. I just hope that the label tool and the level dimension tool could be fully revised and keep improving the already amazing workflow inside AC.

Best regards.
Alanerniquez
Participant
I have a problem trying to label panels from a hotlink due the panels are elements within the Curtain Wall Element. Since the hotlink has locked elements, seems impossible to label these elements on the "Main File". I would like to know if you know a workaround or a solution to this problem.
Mexico
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Alanerniquez,
Which ARCHICAD version are you using?
Is this ARCHICAD 22 or an earlier version?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27