Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

exclude an element from rendering?

Paopao
Booster
Is there a way to exclude elements from rendering? In my case I have a wall which I do not want to appear in the visualization. I know it it possible in 3D Max. Is there a way around this using Cinerender in Arch 18? I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Thanks savvies!
AC26 EDU • WIN 10 • Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz• 32G RAM• NVidia GForce GTX 1080
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If it doesn't show in the 3D Window it will not show up in the rendering. So make sure it is not displayed in 3D.
One way to do this is:

1. Select all elements in 3D.
2. Remove this element from the selection.
3. Use the Show Selection/Marquee in 3D command of the context menu. This will hide the element that was removed from the selection.
4. Save this state of the 3D Viewpoint as a View so you can restore this state if needed later.
5. Render it in CineRender.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
derekjackson
Enthusiast
Hi, has anyone found a way to do this yet?

I'm wanting to hide elements from the main render, yet still have them create shadows and reflections.

Removing them from the 3D window means they they stop affecting the scene entirely. I still need their cast shadows, reflected walls, etc.

Maybe a setting buried somewhere?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
No new setting I am aware of.
If it is not there in 3D, it will not affect the Rendering in any way.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Hmmm... curious request...

One idea to consider is to PAINT the face of the wall that is nearest the camera with "AIR" and leave the other faces with their normal materials...

Of course, as soon as you change views, this will not work. And if your view sees a corner of the wall, there may also be issues...

I see you are in AC 18.. They probably didn't have the AIR material back then, but you can just make a material that is 100% transparent.

Also, in AC21, the Graphic Overrides will allow you to choose a specific material and replace it (when that graphic override is chosen)... so you if you needed that wall to also show COMPLETELY solid, you could create it that way, with a special material on the "transparent" side and have that replaced with "AIR" just for the rendering.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
With graphic overrides you can also make a rule set to pinpoint the one wall with for example element ID.

I think you would be able to make a surface that casts shadow, does not receive shadow and is invisible and apply this to the override.

Reflective properties, I am unsure of being able to get that to act as the actual wall, without seeing it.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
alemanda
Advocate
Paopao wrote:
Is there a way to exclude elements from rendering? In my case I have a wall which I do not want to appear in the visualization. I know it it possible in 3D Max. Is there a way around this using Cinerender in Arch 18? I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Thanks savvies!
+1

I'm very interested into that as well.
This will allow to see inside the rooms with a nicer perspective to produce nicer renderings!
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
So I did a quick test of the AIR idea yesterday.. It worked well in the OpenGL 3d window... could see right thru it and it cast a shadow.. Of course there are no reflections in the 3d window anyway.....

But when rendering, it all of a sudden picked up the of the "outside" plane so you couldn't see thru it. I'm not sure that it actually cast a shadow either...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You will need to make a custom cinerender material. I'm pretty sure you can control received and cast shadows, however you may be right that fully invisible surface will not cast shadow.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
alemanda
Advocate
I made some tests as well ... but with no success ...
In particular I thought that playing with the transparency and alpha channels I could have bypassed the problem but no ... I think both the channels affect the light ... so if you set the transparency it will be transparent for camera and light ...
We need a material that should be invisible to the camera but visible for lights
AC 19 and AC21 latest hotfix
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)
32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620
Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440
www.almadw.it