Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Auto Update or not?

Anonymous
Not applicable
My current office is new to Archicad.
They are using the setting to have AUTO UPDATE OFF.

When we issue drawings, a copy is placed in a folder in Archicad called Superseeded. (using Apple key and drag drop)

This means you only hit UPDATE on a drawing when you reissue it.

Im trying to explain how much of a pain this is as when drafting, i need to hit update many times to see what is current. If someone comes along half way through revisions and makes a SS copy, it would over write the previous.

Im not sure im explaining this well enough.

Does anyone else have Auto-Update switched off? If so, what are the benefits?

Kind regards,
Kev

(PS we issue files in PDF format which are stored in a folder anyway)
3 REPLIES 3
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Setting Drawings to Manual Update offers an extra level of control. It's up to you when the drawings update, not ArchiCAD. I have seen people use this plenty of times, especially larger firms.

If you want to update multiple drawings simultaneously, it is easy using the Drawing Manager.

Cheers,
Link.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
As an alternative to this, we sometimes use linked PMK files and set up a publish set in the master project file. Especially with large projects (rebuild time) this saves a lot of time.

Hit publish when you are done with work. We do have auto update with this setup.

We ussually have a separate PLN for the layouts with this setup.

This effectively breaks the fancy BIMx pro features of having drawings in BIMx, though. So be warned, if you use that for presentations.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
Setting Drawings to Manual Update offers an extra level of control. It's up to you when the drawings update, not ArchiCAD. I have seen people use this plenty of times, especially larger firms.

If you want to update multiple drawings simultaneously, it is easy using the Drawing Manager.

Cheers,
Link.
Manual update is my preference for control as mentioned, although I have a colleague who prefers automatic.

You can also select multiple layouts in Navigator, then hit the green Update button. Only views on those selected layouts will update. I find this quicker than using Drawing Manager.