Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

Drawing Titles with Circle

Chris Pooley
Enthusiast

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with these drawing titles, I have 2 options

1. Fix my custom drawing title, or
  2. Adjust the default settings for the in built "Linear Drawing Title 27"

For my custom drawing title, the circle I have created is squishing so it is oval shaped, does anyone know of a way to stop that from happening?

For the Linear Drawing Title 27 (which is the same as what I need), is there a way to set "default" settings? E.g. The text size, drawing ID position in the circle, the drawing name alignment being left justified...... So each time I select that drawing title, it remembers what my selections are? For the name alignment, I have to keep grabbing the pink node and draging it over.

I have attached some images of what I have and what I want to achieve.

Thank you

Operating system used: Windows 11

Linear Drawings Title 27 - Text Position.pngCustom Circle Squishing.png
ArchiCAD 19 to 27
Windows 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

@Chris Pooley wrote:

For my own title, I have not stretched the viewport (the drawing), and when I do, the title doesn't change. You can see in the image above, the view is "fit to frame". When I adjust the boarders of the viewport, the drawing title remains the same (skewed or squished).

Below is the object in the 2D Symbol and the parameters of the Object in case there is something you can see that might be wrong?

How strange.

It must have been a fluke it worked for me yesterday.

I just tried again now.

BarryKelly_1-1729738567397.png

Seems to somehow be related to scale.

If I go to the floor plan and set the scale to 1:1 and create a new title object, it all seems to be fine.

BarryKelly_3-1729738777758.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

You can create your own drawing title justified just how you like it.

Circles lines and autotext as you want them, select and save as a drawing title object.

BarryKelly_0-1729664987953.png

But you won't have all of the custom controls (unless you can script your own GDL drawing title).

BarryKelly_1-1729665053049.png

With the linear title you can unlock the size and adjust, but I don't see a way to get it truly left justified.

BarryKelly_2-1729665257805.png

Save that as default in the drawing tool, and all future drawings you place will have those same settings.

Or you can save a favourite.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks for that Barry,

I think the linear drawing title is almost perfect for what I need.  I have just been google searching, and all the results that come up with the words "drawing tool" for ArchiCAD, just mention to activate the drawing tool after placing the drawing on the layout, assuming people know what the drawing tool is. Is the drawing tool the Drawing Selection Settings?  I can not find a spot in the Drawing Selection Settings to set a default.

I Found another topic on the community, and Stress Co_ had explained that when you select a title, it just becomes the default, but this is not my experience, for me, it seems the last custom drawing title I create seems to be the new default.  If the Drawing Selection Settings is not the Drawing Tool, can please tell me what the Drawing Tool is, and show me a screenshot of where to set the default?

Saving as a favorite is ok, but the size and appearance settings, and the frame settings also come through, but that is not a huge problem.

And on the other note, for my own interest, I created my drawing title the same way you showed me in your helpful instructions, can you think of a reason my circle would "squish" to an oval from a circle?

ArchiCAD 19 to 27
Windows 11

The drawing tool is the tool in the tool bar that you use to place a drawing on a layout (or in plans, elevations).

The thing is, we tend not to use the drawing tool when we pace drawings on layouts, if like me, you just drag from the view map to the layout.

But it is still using the drawing tool settings.

If you select the drawing tool in the tool bar and change any settings, you are altering the default settings for all future drawings you place.

If you select a drawing on a layout and change the settings, you are affecting only that particular drawing.

You can also set the default settings by using the pipette (ALT key on Windows machine) and clicking on an already placed drawing that has the settings you want.

With your own label, the circle will stretch to an oval any time you try to stretch (resize) the title.

As it is not a scripted title, it will all just stretch proportionally.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi Barry,

I also just drag and drop views onto the layout, I never even knew there was a tool to do this.

I don't have "drawing tool" on my toolbar, but if I go to Document > Documenting Tools > Drawing - my curser turns to a crosshair and then I click on the layout and it prompts me to place a drawing. It doesn't give me anywhere to adjust default settings.

When I select the drawing, I press 'Alt+Space' which is my keyboard shortcut to open up "Tool Settings", this opens the Drawing Selection Settings, am I correct in thinking that is what you and everyone except me are calling the Drawing Tool?

Drawing Selection Settings.png

For my own title, I have not stretched the viewport (the drawing), and when I do, the title doesn't change. You can see in the image above, the view is "fit to frame". When I adjust the boarders of the viewport, the drawing title remains the same (skewed or squished).

Below is the object in the 2D Symbol and the parameters of the Object in case there is something you can see that might be wrong?

Object 2D view.png

Object Parameters.png

 Thanks again,

ArchiCAD 19 to 27
Windows 11

@Chris Pooley wrote:

I don't have "drawing tool" on my toolbar, but if I go to Document > Documenting Tools > Drawing - my curser turns to a crosshair and then I click on the layout and it prompts me to place a drawing. It doesn't give me anywhere to adjust default settings.

When I select the drawing, I press 'Alt+Space' which is my keyboard shortcut to open up "Tool Settings", this opens the Drawing Selection Settings, am I correct in thinking that is what you and everyone except me are calling the Drawing Tool?

BarryKelly_0-1729736787230.png

You can add it in your Work Environment, but it should be there by default.

Even if you choose it from the menu, the info box will change to show the drawing settings.

'Tool Settings' will open this in a separate dialogue, which is what you show in your image.

Yes, that is the drawing settings for the drawing tool with a section for title settings.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Solution

@Chris Pooley wrote:

How strange.

It must have been a fluke it worked for me yesterday.

I just tried again now.

BarryKelly_1-1729738567397.png

Seems to somehow be related to scale.

If I go to the floor plan and set the scale to 1:1 and create a new title object, it all seems to be fine.

BarryKelly_3-1729738777758.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Yeah, it is related to the scale, when I initially created the object, it was on a floor plan view set at 1:1 scale.

I have created 5 or 6 different drawing titles, so I am familiar with the process and the need to create them at a 1:1 scale, but this is the first one with a shape.

I just created 3 different ones, each one seemed to be different each time and then different depending on the drawing scale for some reason.

I have gotten one that worked, it was the one created on the layout... Funny, but I am happy with that solution...

Thank you Barry,

ArchiCAD 19 to 27
Windows 11

Setup info provided by author