BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Linked Markers losing their links

Ted Taylor
Contributor
I have been working on a project which for various and sundry reasons had to be broken into two files and then had to be published in two parts which did not correspond to how the files were separated.

Layouts were composed in both files and then required layouts were moved from one file into the other file, sheet indexes created and then published. Layouts associated with their home file retain all marker information. Layouts moved to another file do not. While source markers retained their information of Drawing ID (i.e. C11) and Layout ID (A-2.04), the linked markers did not and display (#DrgID)/(#LayID). The bad behavior is consistent for sections, details, elevations, etc.

I called the local Rep to see if I was missing anything and they suggested I send a query to Tech Support North America. I got a response to update everything in Drawing Manager, which did not do anything. I then sent two files to Tech Support which demonstrated the problem and I have not heard anything in over a week. I am now checking with the Forum to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar and even better, found a solution.

A work around is to publish the layouts from their original files and then manually move the files around to their proper sets, but it requires keeping dummy layouts in one of the files so that indexing works and generally adds another layer of complexity and possibility of things to screw up.
Ted Taylor
Atlanta, GA , USA
iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 32GB
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
OS10.14.2,
Latest Archicad 22
15 REPLIES 15
Takis
Expert
David hi, I'm sorry but this isn't working the way you are suggesting to solve the problem.
The problem is that we are not allowed to select any drawing to connect the section to, because they are inactive.
There was no response from Graphisoft yet to this problem.

The reason why this is happening is because of the migration of a file. The .pln files that were created in older versions occur the above problem. Even if someone deletes sections / elevations that were merged with a file and create new ones the problem will appear again and again.

Now when this is really happening? Well it happens if you send a merged "healthy" section on a Layout and then delete it. Automatically it looses connection and becomes unusable.

If someone would like to merge an old file to a newer version of Archicad 20 or 21, then he should make a copy of this project first, next delete all sections and elevations. After that create a new Archicad project and merge that file there. After that you may create there new sections and elevations as many as you like, send them to Layout, delete them, recreate them etc, no problem will appear ever again.
This is what I have experienced and how I got over this big and annoying issue.

Takis.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Having the same problem here with AC20. We have about 15 building sections with markers in plan, and 2 of them say that the "drawing has not been placed yet" even though it is a live (source) section shown in project map that has been placed on a drawing.

The theory that if you make a section, then place it on a layout, then delete it, ultimately causing this problem could be correct. We often due this because of one of the inherent flaws of Archicad:
You create a drawing and set a scale
You put it on the layout and it is too big or or too small
You go back to the drawing and change the scale
Archicad then scales that layout drawing from the origin, and not from the center of the view, causing it to move 200' off screen in a direction that you're unsure of

So the easiest thing to do is to put it on a layout and then delete it if the scale is wrong. Change the scale and then when placed back on the layout it zooms extents conveniently.

Still no luck on the source markers. We ended up placing a new, linked marker over the top of our source markers and linking them to the drawing in question.
JOTHOMAS
Participant

I am having this exact problem mentioned in the above comment, in AC25 and an almost new project.

The elevation markers on the plan are source markers and after being placed on a layout they do not update with the sheet and drawing number - instead they still say "this view has not yet been placed".

Maybe this is because they are clones and have smaller scale placements on different sheets such as a key or presentation payout earlier in the set?

To compound my frustration with this issue I now have a south and an east elevation marker that think they are both showing a link to the south elevation marker even though they are live source markers in their own right.

Placing a linked marker on top of source marker seems the way forward but this doesn't solve source markers with wires crossed linking and opening views of a different part of the building. Or starting all the elevation sheets again and hoping the glitch does not occur again.

Hello,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry for the experience!

At the moment, we haven't received any similar report in our system about such an issue in Archicad 25. To better understand the situation, I'm wondering if it's possible to have the problematic file for a closer look? Please let me know if you will need a secure place to upload the file also.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Minh Nguyen,

Please provide a place to upload the file and instruction on how the file needs to be packaged. (It is currently around 550 MB.)

Thank you,

Jonathan Thomas

Hi Minh,

I have uploaded the file at the link provided.

Direction to the markers are on the Archicad layer on the 1st floor plan.

Thanks,

Jonathan M. Thomas

Learn and get certified!