Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Renovation issue: wall gap left by "new const" roof

rob2218
Enthusiast
this happens over and over again.
how best to resolve this.
synopsis:
existing wall has an SEO with it's existing roof.
existing roof is being "demo'd".
New roof is being designed but existing wall which is remaing, is still reactiing to SEO of demo'd roof.

How best to resolve?

WALL-GAP.png
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just like in real life?

The wall in the picture will not grow itself onsite when the roof is demolished.

When you demolish an old roof and build a new one to cover the porch there will be a triangular opening there that a contractor will have to fill somehow with new material.

Shouldn't that area be modeled as a separate 3D element (probably SEO'd wall) with "New Status" and appropriate graphical representation in plan and elevation?

Did I miss something?
rob2218
Enthusiast
yes..I'm fully aware that once a "real" roof is removed, it leaves a gap. thank you for clearing that up.

Now, explain the solid element operation function because I have tried that. I've tried to to SEO from one wall to another and it behaves very strangely.

So, I'd like your explanation of how to accomplish this?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Unless you need super accurate 3d demolished views, why not just offset the existing wall and add a new one to the end?

It is possible to put a small bit of wall there and use one of the triangular opening windows to cut away the bit where the roof is, if you want to be super precise, but it is unlikely to be build like that too.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Eduardo Rolon
rob2218 wrote:
yes..I'm fully aware that once a "real" roof is removed, it leaves a gap. thank you for clearing that up.

Now, explain the solid element operation function because I have tried that. I've tried to to SEO from one wall to another and it behaves very strangely.

•01• Wall_A_Existing and SEO'd with Upwards extrusion to Roof_Existing
•02• Wall_A_New_Construction - SEO'd with Downward extrusion to Roof_Existing
•02• Wall_A_New_Construction - SEO'd with UPWARD extrusion to Roof_NEW

•01• is Shown in Reno Filter for Existing and Demo
•02• Shown in New Construction

-----
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
yes..I'm fully aware that once a "real" roof is removed, it leaves a gap. thank you for clearing that up.?
I am sorry, Rob, for coming across as a condescending jerk.
It was not intended to be that way.

I simply prefer hard-core BIM approach and I would model everything in a project the way it was intended to be demolished/renovated/built on a construction site... hence "as in real life" comment. I subconsciously think this way for the past twenty-something years.
Erwin wrote:
Unless you need super accurate 3d demolished views, why not just offset the existing wall and add a new one to the end?
It is possible to put a small bit of wall there and use one of the triangular opening windows to cut away the bit where the roof is, if you want to be super precise, but it is unlikely to be build like that too.
It depends on your approach. If I where to do a project in ARCHICAD I would use it as a VCS (Virtual Construction Simulation) platform breaking the future building into real-life-related demolition/renovation/construction processes rather than 2D drawings of the future building. I have a very odd attitude to this, but I believe that with a proper setup and approach ARCHICAD user can eliminate any 2D drafting what so ever.
rob2218 wrote:
Rob, there are many ways to skin the cat, and I am by no means an example, but since you are asking about my process I would explain it (we are not talking about filling in an empty triangle space under your roof, as that was answered by in a message above, we are talking about a possible approach I would take to eliminate this issue altogether):

First, I would take a few assumptions.
  • I assume this building is not of a brick or stone construction, but a wooden frame.
  • I assume demolition will not demolish entire wall frame, but rather remove only studs and structural elements to save cost (even at the expense of constructability).
In order to complete this renovation I would
  • Create an existing model of a building
  • After talking to general contractor, assume that I can demolish stud walls only in certain places due to original construction limitations
  • Using all ARCHICAD tools available to me, I will then find the most cost effective solution to demolishing walls, installing new supports, extending new walls and building new roof.
Given that everything is in the BIM model from the start, I can use Lists and Schedules to dynamically calculate the cost associated with the reconstruction and make phase drawings for all phases of construction automatically.

This approach will eliminate for me any odd triangles you encountered in your model.

See image attached as an example. It is a 3D document (naturally, sections, elevations and plans look accordingly... it is, after all, the same model), and it is not altered in any way as a drawing. Just a saved View of a model.
Wall Demolition.jpg