Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

documentation notes

KeesW
Advocate
This might be a GDL question, but here it goes.

I like putting note codes on my plans, elevations and section working drawings, with the text alongside the note code on the side of the drawing sheet. This makes drawings look very clear and uncluttered (see the book "Archicad Project Framework p 141 for an example). The more usual style is to have text notes on the actual plans, elevations and sections.

What I would like, is to generate a label for the text code - say '1', '2', '3', ....etc, - which immediately opens a window into which I can insert the text associated with the label. Then, I'd like to be able to automatically generate a formatted column for use on the side (or elsewhere) of the drawing sheet which lists the note code and the text alongside in neat rows.

Is this possible? Or does this already exist somewhere?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
9 REPLIES 9
Djordje
Virtuoso
KeesW wrote:
What I would like, is to generate a label for the text code - say '1', '2', '3', ....etc, - which immediately opens a window into which I can insert the text associated with the label.
You can use the Detail for this, and assemble Details in PlotMaker.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
KeesW
Advocate
Thanks Djordje.
You mean one detail per note? I'll have hundreds and they would be hard to manage. Can't the process be automated using clever GDL scripting?
Kees
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is an "AutoKeyNotes" available on objects on line, and I recall another company recently producing a similar product. If you try one, let us know which one and how it works out.
KeesW
Advocate
Thanks Mike. I think that I am getting closer. However, Autokeynotes only works with standardised notes. I want to create my note after I have placed my label - notes would not necessarily be standard. Thats how real-world contract documentation most commonly happens! I'll try to find the other object you spoke of.
Kees
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
Thanks Mike. I think that I am getting closer. However, Autokeynotes only works with standardised notes. I want to create my note after I have placed my label - notes would not necessarily be standard. Thats how real-world contract documentation most commonly happens! I'll try to find the other object you spoke of.
Kees
Look at CadImage KeyNotes.
http://www.cadimagetools.com/
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kees-

Did you have any success with the keynote manager software? I am wishing that I could do the same thing you are trying to do.

Let us know if you make any progress.

Thanks
KeesW
Advocate
Aaron
I am considering Cadimage KeyNotes and am waiting to have a couple of questions answered, and raising a few more dollars, before committing to buy it. The product looks good - I've downloaded the manual. Both note systems suggested on Architalk require a predefined database of standard notes. This I am not sure of because, for small projects, I might prefer to add notes in a more informal manner. If one is going to have predefined notes, why not just use Archicad's label tool? Anyway, that's where I am at with this issue.
Kees
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Anonymous
Not applicable
Kees,

I looked into the Keynote manager and I don't think it will work for us. It only works with master lists of keynotes which we don't use. Also you can't insert a keynote into the list and have it re-number, which is unfortunate. It looks like if you use master keynote lists for an entire project or keynote by spec section it would work well.

Good Luck,

Aaron
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been continuing to work with keynotes and have come upon a few more problems I am hoping someone has already solved.

I started by making an independent detail window for each plan or sheet that contains the keynotes. This, although by no means automatic, worked ok for a while. Then I realized that I cannot place a tracking detail bubble into that keynote list. This is something that we do very often, and we really need those detail tags to track. I am thinking that I might just paste those lists into an empty storey so that I can have tracking detail numbers.

When I started to think about this system more it raised some more questions. First, how do you reference a detail in another project? We do a lot of campus projects in which we were planning to make each building a seperate file. Invariably we will have details in common between buildings and would like to reference a detail drawn in one building's file from another building's floor plan. Has anyone come across and hopefully solved this problem?

Thanks ahead of time for your answers,

Aaron