Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

edit selection set

KeesW
Advocate
This command frustrates me no end. I have an exploded two storey elevation and want to change all of its layers. So, I put a marquee around it, select all, go to 'Edit Selection Set' and change the selection to the layer I want. Guess what - the windows haven't changed! Why not - who knows? They are have long since been converted into lines and were certainly included in the selection set. Archicad offers numerous reasons why items, included in the selection set, don't change. Other CAD systems don't seem to be as confused by a user's intention - selected items are changed! No ifs or butts!

Grrrrr!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
4 REPLIES 4
TomWaltz
Participant
You have to explicitly select them with the Arrow Tool. Marquee doesn't work. That's true for ANY parameter changes, anywhere in the program, for single elements, multiple elements, or multiple types of elements.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only times I have trouble with this command is if one of the layers is locked, or perhaps grouped to an item on a layer that is locked (can't recall the issues with this), or the individual elements have been locked. Make sure all layers are unlocked and turn on suspend groups. I personally never have problems with edit selection set. The only thing I would like to see is when I change the pen color of selected items, I would like more control over what it does to fills.
KeesW
Advocate
TomWaltz
I have tried it both ways. Select all after using marquee and select explicitly with arrow tool. Neither is foolproof and this is what I dislike.

I've checked for locked layers - there aren't any. What I have found is that sometimes, having grouped elements within the selection, stuffs the process. I don't think I've got them either. 'Edit selection set' is, for me, a crummy routine that doesn't work properly.

KeesW
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Djordje
Ace
Kees,
KeesW wrote:
I have tried it both ways. Select all after using marquee and select explicitly with arrow tool. Neither is foolproof and this is what I dislike.
Edit selection set works OK; it is the selection method that is the problem in your case.

If you have the unlinked elevation, or exploded as you say, turn the grouping off, activate arrow tool, and hit CTRL A. That will select all in the current window. If you want to constrain selection marquee the area first.

You can also save the selection for future use.

It is very easy to forget what is in a group, so with major editing tasks like Edit selection set I personally prefer the grouping to be off.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen