Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
General discussions
Posts about job ads, news about competitions, events, learning resources, research, etc.

Shift to a subscription model - your questions are welcome

Akos Pfemeter
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear Community,

You may have already read the press release or the Insights post about our strategic shift to a subscription model. 

Here is a quick summary of the news:

BUDAPEST, April 2, 2024—Graphisoft, the leading Building Information Modeling (BIM) software solution developer for architecture and multidisciplinary design, today announced that, as part of its strategic shift to a sustainable subscription software delivery model, perpetual licenses will be gradually phased out by the end of 2025. This change does not affect the delivery of Software Service Agreement (SSA)/Forward subscription services to existing customers. 

Archicad perpetual and SSA/Forward licenses will be available for new customers through December 31, 2024, and to existing customers through December 31, 2025. Starting in 2026, Archicad will be available only through subscription. Active SSA/Forward contracts will continue to be serviced beyond 2025. Alternatively, SSA/Forward customers can convert to Archicad Collaborate subscriptions at the same price as SSA/Forward. This offer is designed to help existing SSA/Forward subscribers take full advantage of the Archicad Collaborate subscription, which combines award-winning Archicad for architectural design with BIMx and BIMcloud SaaS for fast, efficient, secure, real-time access to shared projects.

Please ask your questions and share your thoughts here -- Graphisoft's expert team will try and provide answer to all sorts of questions you may have!
Thank you.
----------------------

Edit by Moderator:  here is the link to the evolving information/FAQ page about this announcement:

https://graphisoft.com/convert-ssa-forward-to-archicad-collaborate/

Akos Pfemeter

VP Global Cross-Brand Sales, Graphisoft

342 REPLIES 342

I am enthusiastic at the moment.  but will probably lose projects to Revit.  I see too many contracts come out Revit only.  too bad they focus on software more than the design.  (These clients)  Archicad has so much potential but dont see it free at the Universities for students to use .  Nor do I see a push here in the U.S.  If I had not looked for it I'd never have known it exists.  Everyone is Autocad or Revit these days.  I am only saying this to hope someone that wants success to listen to use as there is still a big market in the US.  It just seems no one cares about the US as a market for Archicad.

I have bet my career on this product.  

Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner

FYI, AC has been free to students, faculty and Uni since version 09 IIRC.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

True but I checked at Clemson and Auburn and then friend's kids that recently graduated from a couple schools and a few students that have interviews for jobs.  All are using Revit in school and there is no other option.  Every kid who has come to me on an interview are only aware of Autocad and Revit.  None yet have heard of AECOsim (my previous software from Bentley and ARCHICAD my preferred software.

Every student has the option even if the faculty have drunk the Autodesk coolaid or the school has rigid, inflexible IT managers.  Any decent school doesn’t demand a specific software for their projects and creative students can choose what they want.   ArchiCAD has been free to students for many years:

https://myarchicad.graphisoft.com

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

If I were Graphisoft they would give it free for a YEAR (and sell support if required) of any new firm.  And push it harder at the universities.

The Problem at the schools as the teachers only have time to be a strong support for only one package.  So Maybe Graphisoft freely trains the professor(s).

This is a reality but a possible success.  What would Graphisoft lose if every student at least had the knowledge that Archicad Exists.

THE FIRST TIME a student presents their project using the Ipad will blow everyone away as Autocad does not compete.

Eric Milberger
Advocate

Pretty confusing - why would someone want to change a perpetual license to subscription?

Most people with existing perpetual licenses will probably not want to change.

But those that also pay for additional BIMcloud SaaS licenses might want to consider it.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11