BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Problems with Video Display on a new Aluminum iMac

drh64
Contributor
I have had this happen on two different IMacs and only when we run AC 11.

It seems to be triggered by Itunes running at the same time.

Has anyone else witnessed this before? Any suggestions?

http://www.connect-arch.com/graphics-problem/scatter.mov
183 REPLIES 183
Dwight
Newcomer
That is incorrect.
The utility can check, but not repair.
Attached are the directions contained on the Disk Utility dialog.
Dwight Atkinson
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
drh64 wrote:
Results from a TechTool Scan overnight:
Surface Scan
Failed - 1 errors
The Surface Scan test will scan the disk for bad blocks.
Media defects cause this test to fail. You should consider backing up the device, reformatting the media, replacing the data, and then testing again.
Does this mean I should backup, reformat and reinstall EVERYTHING!!????
If that was the scan result for your hard drive, then I'm afraid you've got yet another bad drive. I'd recommend showing those results to Apple and get them to replace the drive again. Check if they can transfer the data for you too.
Ralph Wessel BArch
owen
Newcomer
owen wrote:
Ralph wrote:
There certainly isn't a problem running iTunes (and much more) in conjunction with ArchiCAD - I (and many others) do that all the time.
... Haven't seen this sort of thing on any of the 40 odd Mac Pros + G5s in the office either
Now i have.

We have just started receiving the new 8-Core Mac Pros with the standard ATI Radeon HD 2600 card (pretty much the same card as the iMac has). Every single one of them (5 so far i think) is displaying this behaviour. It seems to be triggered by ArchiCAD but once it occurs it persists in all applications until a restart even if ArchiCAD is closed.

Our supplier even replaced the cards - no luck. We are now trying to get a replacement nVidia 8800 GT but there is a few weeks wait apparently.
ATI-Radeon-HD-2600.png
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Karl Ottenstein
owen wrote:
We have just started receiving the new 8-Core Mac Pros with the standard ATI Radeon HD 2600 card (pretty much the same card as the iMac has). Every single one of them (5 so far i think) is displaying this behaviour.
Bummer. My machine, configured as above, should be arriving early next week. 😞

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
owen
Newcomer
D amn.

But maybe you are lucky and Apple have just sent all the dud cards to Australia
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Eduardo Rolon
Not limited to Alum iMacs, I had it happen my previous generation (white) iMac last week. If we are lucky it is a video driver, leopard, AC issue that might be fixed with 10.5.2.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
This seems to be a serious problem with ATI cards in Leopard. I have been having this problem on my MacBook Pro (ATI X1600) since I upgraded to Leopard. It only comes up after a full day's work. This fact and other reports I've seen suggest that it is related to heat buildup. It also appears sooner when I am plugged into a 30" monitor. It also got better last Fall after the weather cooled off, and when I am plugged into the big display it improves when I put the laptop up on blocks for better airflow.

I don't think it is specific to ArchiCAD but rather seems to be an Apple/ATI problem. The fact that it always seems to appear when we are using ArchiCAD (I think) is because it is a demanding program and it is what we here on the ArchiCAD forum use to make our livings. I suspect that someone cranking along all day on another similarly demanding program will experience the same results.

For now the only solutions seem to be to switch to NVidia cards for those who can, and to try to keep the machine cool for those who can't.

BTW: I have also had problems with my ATI card in Windows and one of my (very BIM and tech savvy) friends will have nothing to do with ATI.
drh64
Contributor
They are replacing my graphics card AND my power supply on my 24". The tech said that the machine is running way too hot. While using my 20" as a backup this week, I had the same problem occur once. So, it does seem to be related to a software or standard hardware configuration.
owen
Newcomer
The fact that this problem is heat related is understandable (not excusable) with the enclosure of the iMac but a real worry given the Mac Pros are certainly not lacking for airflow.

This problem really shouldn't be happening .. the main benefit of the Apple closed system is everything they sell should have been thoroughly tested before going to market. I would certainly count pushing a Mac Pro to its limits for days on end as part of this process.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Rick Thompson
Expert
owen wrote:
The fact that this problem is heat related is understandable (not excusable) with the enclosure of the iMac but a real worry given the Mac Pros are certainly not lacking for airflow.
So far, and it has been a short time, I have had no issues here with the ATI 2600 (2 - 23" displays), and so much quieter than the ATI X800, also 256 mg... which I had no problems with either on the G5.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Learn and get certified!