Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Global libraries (libpack) and legacy libraries treelist

Samppa Hannikainen
Contributor

Hi! I just now started looking at what the AC28 new global libraries thing is. I'm not very deep in it yet but to me it seems it's maybe specifically addressing Graphisoft's localization woes. I think it seems good, but there's at least one thing I couldn't yet understand. There must be some technical reason why the presenting of legacy libraries with simple (unpacked) folders containing objects works different from the way it was in previous versions. (Or at last AC26, which is the latest I've used).

Suppose I have a folder named "MyLibrary" containing three subfolders "sub1" "sub2" "sub3" with gdl objects, and I load that folder into the project as a library. Now, previously, when in object settings window, the loaded libraries treelist would show the "MyLibrary" folder and under that the "sub1", "sub2" and "sub3" folders. What I'm experiencing now is that the "MyLibrary" folder is not there in the list, and the "sub1", "sub2" and "sub3" folders are listed directly under the loaded libraries.

I briefly looked at how LCF-format libraries behave and it seems they previously have worked so that the library is shown in the object settings dialog within it's container. So that in the list there's an "folder" (or container) entry with the LCF name, and under it, the library structure inside the lcf. This is also now different, and it seems it's the same as with the plain folders - there's no entry in the loaded libraries list for the LCF container name. Whatever folder structure is inside the lcf is listed in the loaded libraries instead.

The "problem" itself seems to be easily fixed, wrap everything inside an extra folder if needed, and this is what I'll do to our office library at least. But this is fixing in the user end, and makes libraries behave differently between versions.

I guess my question for now is: since the libpack format is "brand new" and the library loading systems obviously have been somewhat reworked, why is it that loading of these legacy libraries would not be handled so that the user experience would be the same as before? Maybe I've missed a memo encouraging to always wrap your external libraries in another folder and have been doing things the wrong way... 🙂

Operating system used: Windows 10 Pro

Win 10 / AC24 / FIN
2 REPLIES 2
Eduardo Rolon

This was reported multiple times during Beta and Tech Preview and the only solution is to create a new/copy of "My Library" within "My Library".

Reasons were never given as to why.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

scottjm
Advisor

Agreed. This is a frustration that needs addressing. 

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

Setup info provided by author