Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Movings cars, is it possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, just what i putted in the subject, is it possible to animate a car? i mean, can we assign a movement direction or path to an object and see it moving in a rendered .avi or .mov file?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Pablo
Uruguay

pdavila@adinet.com.uy
8 REPLIES 8
Djordje
Ace
Pablo wrote:
Yes, just what i putted in the subject, is it possible to animate a car? i mean, can we assign a movement direction or path to an object and see it moving in a rendered .avi or .mov file?
Yes.

Once upon a time - and maybe still? - there used to be a downloadable free Porsche 911 on Object On Line, that also could drive.

The trick is in the GDL script, that knows the numbers of animation frame number, and moves the car to appropriate location.

If I am not wrong, the Alfaville cars on OOL also all have this option?

Using the same GDL technique, you can program doors to open, fans to turn, fountains to splutter. Older visitors will remember Frank Chin and his wavy flags, fountains and fireworks.

Of course, with the LW rendering, now it all comes to good use ... if I could read the CD labels. Too much dust.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable

car.gif
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Djordje, thanks for your fast answer.

I found that porsche 911 on internet and it has not any options to animate it throw a path or similar.

You can do many funny things with it like open the doors, rotate, etc... but nothing about moving it.

Can you help me a little more?

thanks in advance!

Pablo

PD: as you can see on the numbers of persons that read this topic, there are a lot of people interested on it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
dear all,

Please check this:
http://www.opengdl.org/gdl-de/obj00009.htm

can this object help me? (I dont speak german and I can´t understand the instructions)

Thanks!!

Pablo
Karl Ottenstein
Pablo,

Just go to objectsonline.com as Djordje advised. You will see a variety of Alfavile vehicles under the Transportation categories. SOME of these say they are "moveable". Click the link, and it will tell you that you can move them in a straight line or a curve, open doors, etc.

For example:
ObjectsOnline wrote:
Includes two objects – still and moveable.

Moveable object is only displayed in flythroughs, still objects are displayed in 3D window.

You can define materials and colours, each door can be opened or closed, front and/or brake lights can be switched on/off, driver and/or front passenger can be displayed, front wheels can be turned.

Moveable car object can be moved in straight or curved paths, you have a choice of speed. You can easily create your animations and movies using this special car object.

By: Alfaville
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Scott Boyd Turner
Enthusiast
Pablo,
an object animator library part is included in the Australian Essential Library, attached is a quick animation made using this part, maybe you should contact your reseller to see if you can get a copy of this part.
Regards,

Scott
MSI Creator ZP16, i7-12700H, 32GB RAM, RTX 3070 8GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course ..... and other.

CU mirco
http://www.3Dsmile.it
Frank Beister
Mentor
Hello Pablo,

'theAnt' from openGDL would help you. Unfortunately I can't translate it as fast as you would need it and it's not finished at all . So I would have to do the translation twice.

You can mail me privately for help.

Just a few basics:

In the lower part there is defined in which frames the object will be visible. Left: start, right: end. And below the numbers you adjust, what happens before and after this breakpoints. If its visible or not. In the middle: Appearance in the static 3D-window.

On top you can choose the settings pages. From left to right:

OBJECT:
You can choose some different kind of elements to animate: cube, plane (works not proper, I fix it today), text or: another object. Just insert the name of the object (which has to be part of the library).
There are some additional settings to the size of the cube and the materials. The plane can be covered by a list of bitmaps, which can contain an animation. So you can use planar bitmaps out of another animation inserted in 3D in your environment.

CAMERA SETTINGS:
This adjusts the animation path in the universe. Normally you choose 'komplanar xu Projektursprung'. But you can change that it's every time static to camera and/or viewpoint. You can insert a text with the frame number counting up. Our gambling friends will add here the body and camera static gun. 😉

BASIC TRANSFORMATION OF THE OBJECT:
Here you can insert the basic transformation of the animating element. Means: If your car itself is rotated or scaled wrong for your animation you can change it here. No animation of this. Just a prepositioning.

TRANSFORMATION SHEDULE:
Not implemented.

TRANSFORMATION MOVE/ROTATE/SCALE:
Each settings page has the same system:
First: What kind of transformation shall it be: linear, ping-pong (means your object will make the transformation and back to start.) or loop.
Then you choose, if you want to enter the transformation 'per frame' or 'over all' (and theAnt intersects the path itself). To proof the path you can choose a frame and the transformation in this frame will be displayed in the third (forth) row of the dialog beside the frame-#.
Last: Above the cameras you can edit in which range of frames (inside the visibility) the transformation will be done. This can be different for each transformation.

CUTPLANES:
You can define up to 10 cutplanes to shape your object. They can be static or animated itself. If you choose animated, you can toggle with the little camera-button between 'first-position' and 'animation path' - settings for each cutplane.

FINAL SETTINGS:
Some settings for the appearance in 2D and (static) 3D-window.

Because it's from 2002, there are no moveable hotspots. Sorry. The mail adress inside is wrong too. So choose the one on the openGDL page.

If you have problems with some special german expressions try
http://dict.leo.org/?lang=en.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm