cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

?? 3D View Bug

Anonymous
Not applicable
In AC 10, when I click on a wall (example, could be anything), and click on the 3D button, the entire model shows in 3D, not just the highlighted object, wall, etc.

I can right click on the selection, and choose "Show selection/marque in 3D" and it works.

However, when I close down 3D and highlight something else entirely different, the previous selection shows in 3D again, not what was selected.

Are these bugs or am I using AC 10 incorrectly?

Thanks,

Grant
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
NOELDESIGNS wrote:
In AC 10, when I click on a wall (example, could be anything), and click on the 3D button, the entire model shows in 3D, not just the highlighted object, wall, etc.

I can right click on the selection, and choose "Show selection/marque in 3D" and it works.

However, when I close down 3D and highlight something else entirely different, the previous selection shows in 3D again, not what was selected.

Are these bugs or am I using AC 10 incorrectly?

Thanks,

Grant
This is for me very big advantage. I dont need to check every time marquee selection on ground floor.
In AC9 I forgot to select on ground floor to check again in 3D window.
In this case I had to wait till every part ist built in 3D window.
I thankt for this change in my case.
I woul like to sugest to be used to with new method.
I like this change.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archi wrote:
In this case I had to wait till every part ist built in 3D window.
BTW: You don't have to wait for the 3D window to finish drawing. Ctrl+. (control/command + period/full stop) will cancel the process. This will also work in dialogs etc. (It does not work for a task in process such as drawing a wall, nor in endless loops and such where the program is not responding )
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
THis new 3D functionality is going to be tough to teach.

It seems that simply hitting the 3D button/shortcut will invoke the last type of 3D window activated, whether it was showing all or showing selection/marquee.

Geoff said:
If there is no selection then Show Selection in 3D shows the entire model (same as Show All in 3D). After you make a selection (in plan or S/E) and then invoke Show Selection in 3D you are taken (of course) to the 3D window where there is now no selection. Thus invoking the command a second time shows the entire model and the behavior appears like a toggle.
But does it? It shows all but doesn't toggle back to the original selection from the floor plan or S/E. It would make more sense to me if we could now toggle between our selection and the entire model.
But on the third try nothing happens because the original selection from the 2D window is not stored. On the other hand, if you now make a selection in the 3D window the Show Selection in 3D command will isolate that selection.
Yes! and we can now toggle between that 3D selection and the floor plan or S/E selection, which is very user friendly. I just wish we had that same toggle before our 3D selection!

Isn't that a more logical approach to the whole situation?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a different work environment posted on the graphisoft web site that I have found quite useful as a means to migrate to 10. I work with marquee or selected items so frequently in the 3d window that I was not keen on the new "features". Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/library_updates10/USA.html
SeaGeoff
Ace
Link wrote:
It shows all but doesn't toggle back to the original selection from the floor plan or S/E.
I said it appears like a toggle in response to Mabe's post. But it is not a toggle. This behavior is a side effect of the new Show Selction in 3D command. Since the command uses the selection of the active window and the active window is now the 3D window and the 3D window opens with no selection and the Show Selction in 3D command acts just like the Show All in 3D command when there is no selection, the entire model is shown. But that's where it stops. It wont toggle back because the previous selection is not stored. Make sense?

A toggle sounds good until you consider the fact that ArchiCAD can maintain a distinct selection set in each open window. If you were in a Show All in 3D state and toggled to Show Selected, which selection set would it use? This does open the question of whether ArchiCAD should change to having single selection set across the entire model.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thanks for your reply Geoff
A toggle sounds good until you consider the fact that ArchiCAD can maintain a distinct selection set in each open window. If you were in a Show All in 3D state and toggled to Show Selected, which selection set would it use? This does open the question of whether ArchiCAD should change to having single selection set across the entire model.
I'd personally like to see it toggle between the selection of the last window open and the entire model. That makes sense to be (but doesn't mean it makes sense to everyone! ).

Cheers,
Link.