Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone heard something about Archicad 14?

what new or improved features or release date or something?

Thanks
107 REPLIES 107
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Think of Graphisoft like a tardy kitchen renovator. Once he's got your job, he needs to keep getting new jobs. You need to threaten to sue for the guy to show up to finish the trim. That's why they made hold-backs.
Software sales (like remodeling jobs) are driven mostly by referral. Those who depend on advertising alone for new work are fighting a losing battle.

But software companies have a difficult balancing act to maintain (in multiple dimensions). They do have to keep attracting new users and making strategic improvements (ie not wish list driven) as well as responding to user requests and fixing bugs.

I do think that GS is missing the boat on many little long standing wishes that would make big differences to us, but I don't agree that they don't care and are actively neglecting us.
owen
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
Software sales (like remodeling jobs) are driven mostly by referral. Those who depend on advertising alone for new work are fighting a losing battle.
Exactly .. which would validate Graphisofts relatively non-existent marketing ... but it seems they aren't paying that much attention to their users wishes either. Maybe the big things (TW2) .. but certainly not the niggling little things that would (i think) be relatively easy to fix and actually make a big difference to everyday use of the program.
Matthew wrote:
But software companies have a difficult balancing act to maintain (in multiple dimensions). They do have to keep attracting new users and making strategic improvements (ie not wish list driven) as well as responding to user requests and fixing bugs.

I do think that GS is missing the boat on many little long standing wishes that would make big differences to us, but I don't agree that they don't care and are actively neglecting us.
I also agree with the last statement - it is not intentional. But then again to the user does that really matter?

I've recently started tutoring 1 & 2 year Construction Management students (ArchiCAD, Solibri, etc) and it really is embarrassing sometimes when you have to explain why some things are the way they are - like lack of circle geometry construction methods (just copy AutoCAD/Rhino pls), no drag copy in S/E's, freeform tools, etc. This is to users who generally have no ArchiCAD experience but have used AutoCAD, Sketchup, etc. To them some parts feel really advanced, yet other really basic, yet great features from other CAD applications are totally archaic or missing in ArchiCAD.

It shouldn't be this way. Graphisoft really does need to do some cleaning up of all these things that have just been hanging around for far too long. Then we can all get over it and look to the future of ArchiCAD as bringing something really new, not just hoping for long overdue fixes.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
TMA_80
Enthusiast
i somehow understand the GS dilemma ; maintaining the software "relatively easy to newbie’s or new users and fufilling the pro's (existing users) wishes .i.e the inspector while for pro user maybe seen as "flashy" version of the control pannel is not the same for beginners , it was a good thought. saying that GS is not fulfilling the users wishes is not "totally" true :
virtual trace " there was old wishes about enhancing gost story option long before virtual trace, and the enhancement was beyond any user expectation" ", defining slab material edge ..etc
What is sure is that there are some obvious wishes that are still "inexplicablely" with no clue: seo in plan, curved stairs in section, the elevator object which upgrade is not that usefull....etc , when we become a medium/professional we are hit by that .

Btw , I don't agree when we say "you can do almost everything with ArchiCAD" , we have to define what everything means : as an example you can do masterpieces in Paint, word, excel..etc . but at what expense: money, accurency & "time" , and time generally is important in the AEC world. when ArchiCAD (time to learn other softwares or to realise them in ArchiCAD)

it also depend on what kind & type of architecture we are talking about . i'm sure that revit "freeform" tools were dicted by "the architecture" of their clients demand SOM & others. maybe such demand is not as important for ArchiCAD ..i don't know

Another thing is the incertitude we have about the longevity for add-ons, especially if we rely on them (rxduplicator) or for which we (i) expected a more enhanced future (maxonform & sketchup addons...etc the fact that every add-on should be updated with each new release isn't helping very much ...
The less than available 'gsm's product providers (that give the idea maybe at how complex is gdl scripting ) and/or how important GDL object creation is for the industry.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
i believe gsa will make modeling way easy and correct the basic errors that occur when trying to make 'out of the box architecture'.revit modeling is quite sensible but slow and time consuming this are areas are where gsa can match up(better rendering engine---cinema4d engine in gsa)
my suggestion look at wat ur competitors are doing and review what makes architecture right.av no fear in copying but make it worth it.
i know the programe has great potential, cos i have won competitions where revit programs where used.
but i am still tryn my hands on revit and features......
die hand users
Anonymous
Not applicable
redworks wrote:
i believe gsa will make modeling way easy...
GSA? Is that the Gehry product or something else?
Anonymous
Not applicable
gsa...................graphisoft archicad.......................dats wat we term it my office
redworks wrote:
gsa...................graphisoft archicad.......................dats wat we term it my office
On this forum, we use "AC".
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
Amen Brother Dwight

It is the outmost of jokes the way an architect must slugger with this “s..tool”
Achille Pavlidis
Enthusiast
Dwight wrote:
Call me cynical, but I don't know why users think their wishes are important to Graphisoft: users have already bought the application!

Think of Graphisoft like a tardy kitchen renovator. Once he's got your job, he needs to keep getting new jobs. You need to threaten to sue for the guy to show up to finish the trim. That's why they made hold-backs.
Well said!!! An if I may add... when it comes to Mac practices where there is no alternative, seems to be even worse!!!
Mac OSX 13.6.6 | AC 27 INT 5003 FULL
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Call me cynical, but I don't know why users think their wishes are important to Graphisoft: users have already bought the application!
I believe that the best way to describe AC is as a Farrari without wheels. It has always had a lot of potential but uses external Addons to really excel. There is no justification as to why these features are not incorporated into AC permanently (or developed by AC independently). Honestly the concept of buying an external revision management addon is appalling.

To buy all of the CadImage addons is equal to the cost of an additional AC License. Then you have the ongoing upgrade costs. It is a similar story for Cigraph and Bobrow and even Artlantis & Cinema4D

Compare this to the three Revit licenses we were given for free and there is obviously a completely different marketing logic.

Revit now has significant MARKETSHARE
Sketchup is FREE has offers an abundance of free libraries
Archicad has $$$$ ADDONS.

As a user of AC since AC6 the sad truth is that I can find in excess of five Revit staff for every one Archicad staff member. If AC market share doesn't change it won't matter which program is better.

It is getting harder to justify keeping Revit in the box (where it has been for the past 5 years).