Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating a wall with different materials at different height

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could someone advise/point me in the right direction for creating a wall(s) with different materials at different heights please.

I have masonry at low level, with cladding above it and I'd like to know the best method(s) for modelling it.

I started out with two separate walls at different heights but windows/doors don't seem to cute through both walls and I think I might be going down the wrong route.
18 REPLIES 18
Barry Kelly
For this you want to look at Complex Profile walls.
You create a fill to represent each different material of you wall in section.
This will act as a single wall as far a doors and windows go.

There is a little more to it as you can define an area to stretch when altering the height of the wall (same for width as well f you want).
i.e. you want the masonry part to remain the same and the framed part to change height.

Always make your profile the shortest height required because you can stretch a complex profile taller but not shorter than what was drawn.

You also have lines to establish the opening reference plane so if your wall s different thicknesses you can set where you want the door/window reveal distance to be measured from.
I seem to remember an issue with this - I will see if I can find the post.

You can also model the two walls on top of each other and use the "Merge Walls" command (Design menu > Complex Profiles >Merge Walls).
This will create the complex profile for you.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
alemanda
Advocate
Depending on the editing level you want to achieve, you can model the two walls separately and put them in two separate layers, one for blockwall and one for thebcalddings. A bit more work but much more flexible for representation and documentation in my opinion.
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)

32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620

Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440

www.almadw.it
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks.

As i had the walls above one another I tried the Merge Walls option but I could only find it under the following:-

Edit>Reshape>Merge Walls

I selected both walls, merged them using the above but the whole wall has now gone dark grey (the top was light grey and the bottom brick/brick coloured)

How do I control the hatch/fill in elevation please?
Electric Flute
Booster
You can play with Wall Accessory > Moldings and Panels

So you will have just one wall to deal with. See image below.
Capturar.JPG
AC26 > AC5 - Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Electric Flute

Is that an add on? Not delved into those yet.

From having a quick google, would that enable timber framework to be modelled quickly and could I potentially use it for the metsec framing for the cladding?
Anonymous
Not applicable
How would it work for a curtain wall with masonry at low level? Can the two be merged or do they have to be separate?
Barry Kelly
thompsonmp wrote:
Thanks.

As i had the walls above one another I tried the Merge Walls option but I could only find it under the following:-

Edit>Reshape>Merge Walls
Yes that is the correct default location - I have a customised Work Environment and I still have it where it used to be in old versions.
thompsonmp wrote:
I selected both walls, merged them using the above but the whole wall has now gone dark grey (the top was light grey and the bottom brick/brick coloured)

How do I control the hatch/fill in elevation please?
Possibly just turning off the surface overrides in the wall settings will fix it.

You can also edit the complex profile now (if it says 'Custom' for a name you will have to 'Store Profile' and give it a name and then swap the wall in plan for this newly named profile).

In the profile editor you can select each of the fills and the click on the fill edge to bring up the pet palette.
There you can edit that edge to be whatever surface material you want.

Back in the wall properties make sure you are not overriding the surfaces.
With a complex profile you only have an end surface and all other surfaces (front, back top and bottom) are all considered as the same extrusion surface if you override them - they will all have the same surface material.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
thompsonmp wrote:
How would it work for a curtain wall with masonry at low level? Can the two be merged or do they have to be separate?
They would need to remain separate - I don't think you could merge them even if you try.
A curtain wall is essentially an object.
I haven't used them much but I would imagine you could set a panel at the bottom with no transoms or mullions, adjust its thickness and materials, and you might get something close (probably easier said than done).

But I would stick with walls if you want to put doors and windows in them.
Curtain walls you will have to edit to create the doors and windows or create openings in which you can place a separate wall with doors and windows in it.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Barry Kelly
You can do it with a single curtain wall by playing around - but don't ask me how I got there.

Barry.
curtain_wall_with_brick.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27