Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Feature request: "express hotlinks"

hrovat
Beginner

Hello everyone,

first time posting here, don't even know if it's the right place, sorry if it isn't and would be grateful if someone would direct me to better one.  I'm a heavy duty AC user (larger residential projects, current 2 projects include 500+ and 250+ apartments, on teamwork),  yes it gets sluggish even on beefy PCs, but it's manageable. 

I have a feature request/wish/suggestion regarding the general 3D modeling workflow.  I use hotlinks/modules a lot for various parts, but the current workflow or process of editing and updating a single hotlink feels very slow (opening a lot of windows, lots of clicking, saving the mod, updating the mod...)  and this could be quite easily greatly improved in my opining. The suggestion is to have something like "express hotlinks" which would act like components in Sketchup. Sketchup's components are great, because they're super simple to use and extremely powerful.  They're just like blocks in Autocad, but for 3D.  These "express hotlinks" could still be saved externally in a file somewhere as mod files, but the updating and saving of such a mod would happen instantly inside the 3D window.  Current hotlinks are ok for something like instances of one whole apartment, where you design it link it and forget about it, then maybe change or add something later.  But for something like facade modeling and testing different options on a larger scale, it's just not great.

Generally I think that a program as mature and widespread as Archicad deserves to have a proper simple and fast  "blocks/components/instances" (for 3D and 2D elements)  functionality built in and I don't think that current options like hotlinks or custom saved objects are adequate.  The interface (and more importantly the number of steps to get something simple done) for those needs some fresh eyes and needs to be completely revamped in my opinion.

Best regards,

H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi @hrovat ,

We have a dedicated Wishlist where you can submit your wishes. Please check the Wishlist - Frequently Asked Questions and the Wishlist guidelines  before you submit your wish again. If you find any similar wish, please support it with your vote and comments.

Kind regards,
Noémi

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi @hrovat ,

We have a dedicated Wishlist where you can submit your wishes. Please check the Wishlist - Frequently Asked Questions and the Wishlist guidelines  before you submit your wish again. If you find any similar wish, please support it with your vote and comments.

Kind regards,
Noémi

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

This wish is already on the Wishlist and has received many votes:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishlist/Modules-Archicad-Groups-Archicad-amp-Sketchup-and-Compo...

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Roman-PS
Booster

Hi hrovat,

There is a wish for that already.

Please support that wish too.
It is rather important.
Thank you.
Roman

INSTANCES               

Where do we go from here?

Hi Roman,

I think that the wish you linked is more about Associative Favorites or Linked Favorites (applicable to repeating instances of an element).

The wish you linked is more about Internal Hotlinks/Groups (applicable to repeating groups of elements).

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Setup info provided by author